cleaning/chores/allowance for 6yr old

hey its me again!!! lol sorry, yday i asked about 6yr olds & cleaning their room now i'd like to know for those of you moms that assign chores to your kids what are they? and how much do you pay them a week if they have an allowance?

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I remember being assigned to clean my room and the main bathroom at 6-7. I was paid $2.50 a week for those chores. Every few months I got more duties-- dusting, cleaning all glass surfaces, doing dishes, etc. By the time I was 12, I was making $10 a week, but I was responsible for cleaning the main floor of the house each week. At 14, I was also cooking, and making $20 a week, but now I was responsible for sweeping outside. At 17, I was no longer receiving an allowance but my parents did help me buy a car. I continued with the chores just because I was a member of the household.

I would recommend explaining that every person in the household has the responsibility to contribute, so that you're not associating a specific task to a specific dollar amount. Then you get too many "bargaining" discussions with your kid. As they get older or demonstrate more responsibility, the more they should do.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son is 3 but I don't see his chore list changing much by the time he's 6. He keeps his room tidy by putting away his toys, putting his laundry in his basket, making his bed, and so on. He's also responsible for tidying up his toys downstairs. When I do laundry he puts away most of his stuff; I do the hanging stuff. He helps with the daily cleaning when he's home (holidays, days he doesn't have preschool) but if he's not home I just do it myself. He does other stuff like make dinner some nights, helps with washing the car, and so on but that's not a regular thing, just extras.

He get $1 a week allowance. If he wants extra stuff I let him do extra chores to earn it. Last thing he earned was a new bike helmet because he destroyed his old one by pulling out the foam pads. He did 10 extra chores including scrubbing the balcony and cleaning the bath for that.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My 6yo cleans her room, puts her dirty clothes in the hamper, brings her dirty clothes to the basement on her laundry day (which was yesterday), puts the clean clothes in the dryer and turns it on, folds and puts away her dry clothes, puts dirty dishes in the sink, cleans up any mess she makes in the kitchen, empties the dishwasher on her days, cleans off the counters/tables, sweeps when I ask, keeps her toys picked up throughout the house, puts her shoes and coats away in the hall, helps take out the trash, helps carry in groceries, makes her bed, helps with her little sister.
    None of my kids get an allowance. They help around the house because it is "our" house and it is everyone's job to take care of it. My 7yo son and 9yo daughter do their own laundry now (from loading the washer to folding and putting away). My 3yo does almost all the same chores except for the clothes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• - makes his bed
    - folds and puts away his clothes after I wash them
    - sets the table for dinner
    - helps clear the table after dinner
    - cleans his room every night before bed
    - picks up his towel after bathtime

He gets $3.50 a week (50 cents a day) and if he doesn't do one chore that day he loses his whole allowance for the day.

We will add new chores, and some more money, on each birthday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Allowance isn't connected to chores in my house. I expect him to do his chores and if he doesn't he gets punished, usually something directly connected like not going to the playground because we no longer have time because he took so long to do his chores. I give him allowance so he can learn about budgeting and saving plus it helps stop the whining for stuff in stores. Now I just ask if he brought money with him and if he didn't he can't buy the thing he wants. He doesn't argue with that.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son has two sets of chores. The ones he is expected to do for no pay and the ones he gets money for.
    He gets $1 for helping me wash the dishes and .50 for changing the bathroom trash.
    Other things he is expected to do is keep his room clean, pick up after hisself in the bathroom.
    for those things he doesnt get any money for that. There are other things he does too for money. I cant think of them right off hand.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My kids get $4/week - $2 to them to spend as they like and $2 in their savings account at the credit union. For chores they each have one night/week where they take out the trash, clean off the table, help load the dishwasher, wipe the table and sweep underneath. Once/week they clean and vacuum their rooms, and vacuum one other room of my choice. Also once a week they clean a part of their bathroom - either the mirror, or the sink, or the counter (they're 8 and 9 - I still do the heavy stuff). Every other week they change the sheets on their bed.
    If all their chores aren't done, they don't get any allowance - it's an all or nothing thing and they've learned that the hard way. There are a few weeks where they have forgotten, I'm thinking about charging them $2 if I end up having to clean their rooms.

Answer by missanc at 6:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son is 5 he gets 1.25 a week. He picks up the living room toys and waters the dog daily. I charge 1 dollar out of his bank for toys and .50 for the dog to do the chore for him. soon we will be adding carrying his dirty clothes to the laundry room on sat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My DS (5.5) has a chore chart which is more like an "improvement chart", it's things we need to work on. For those things he gets an allowance.

He also has things he's expected to do around the house, which he gets no allowance for. These are things like: setting and clearing the table, taking out the trash/compost/recycling, drying and putting away the dishes, sweeping, dusting, window washing, folding laundry and putting his laundry away and keeping his room clean.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 8:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I do not pay cash for them helping around the house. These are life skills. They will not be paid to keep their own house clean.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2009