how long after being potty trained did you let your child go to sleep in underwear?

my daughter is 3 1/2 and has been potty trained for maybe 6 months. at first she was trained during the day, but still had accidents at night, so i put a pull up on her for bedtime. but lately i noticed she has been dry in the mornings, maybe for the past weeks or so she has been dry with no accidents overnight. i am thinking of letting her sleep in her underwear since she is doing so well. do you think i should wait longer, or is she ready now since she hasn't had any more accidents ?

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 1:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds as though she is ready. There may be an accident or two at some point, but that would be normal. :)

Answer by Bmat at 1:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son started was in undies at bed within about 6mo after being fully potty trained. He did great! My dd Lilah was potty trained at 23mo, she is 3 1/2 now and still cant stay dry at night. We are working on that now. My other dd Sofie was potty trained at 21mo and she is 2yr 3mo now and still not dry at night. It does sound like yours may be ready though. I would say give it a shot, but dont go back!!! Stick with it!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I started my son in underwear immediately after he starting peeing on the potty (Took longer to poop train but he would never poop in his sleep) so he was around 3-3 1/2 years old... He has only had maybe 2 accidents, if that.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think if she is staying dry you should give it a try! sounds like she might be able to do it!
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 9:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I just finished potty training my daughter. She's 3 1/2 and stubborn as a mule! She started staying dry all night within just a few weeks of potty training. After a week's worth of dry diapers, I started letting her sleep in underwear. She's not a very sound sleeper, so she's up a couple times a night. When I put her back to bed, I always ask her if she needs to go potty. She's only had a couple of accidents.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• thanks for the advise. last night i decided to let her sleep in her underwear. and she did good. she was dry in the morning, no accidents. :)
    julianasprotege

Answer by julianasprotege at 11:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I waited until they were staying dry for several days in a row. My oldest was staying dry before she even turned 2 but wasn't potty trained until after she turned 3. A week later she stopped wearing pull-ups at night because I was sure she wouldn't wet the bed.
    My son and middle daughter were/are bedwetters. My son stopped wearing pull-ups last summer when he was 6 1/2. My daughter is almost 7 and still wears them every night.
    My 3yo daughter potty trained last November when she was 2 1/2. She wore a pull-up for a week, not because she was wetting the bed but because she was having trouble making it upstairs to the bathroom in the morning. After a week she learned to wake up earlier to get up there before she peed and stopped wearing them. She has never wet the bed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son went to bed in underpants the second week of potty training. He was 3 and asked if he could. I said sure. He's had maybe 4 accidents in the last year.
    DD, on the other hand, took longer and slept in pullups until she was 8. However, she sleeps like the dead and nothing, not even pee, would wake her up.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I let my son wear underwear to bed and just put a towel underneith him in case he had an accident. If we had diapers or pull ups in the house he would want to wear them all the time.
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 8:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009