Have you ever taken a long flight with your child?

How did they do and how did you keep them entertained on long flights? By long I mean like 12 hours or so.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Travel

• We live to do night flights, my daughter falls asleep for most of the flight. We haven't done one that long though, but with connections, it's been 10+ hours.

Long flights normally have movies, so that can help if they play a kids movie. We take a portable DVD player, color wonder markers, lots of little toys, lots of snacks, etc.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm thinking about taking a class in Italy through my college and I was thinking of going with my family. I was just concerned about the flight with my little one. She'd be three by the time we go.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I traveled with 3 small kids. I took lots of books and coloring books. Now I travel with my grandkids and make sure to take their gameboys and plenty of games.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I took my daughter to Australia when she was 2, I made sure to get the bulk head seats. Each seat has it's own television for in flight movies and music. with the restrictions on luggage I would be sure to pack her favorite doll or toy also a blanket in the carry on. I also found really slim magnetic games in book stores. Our flight was a total of 16 hours with one stop in New Zealand for about 4 hours. Have a great trip!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 4:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I fly transatlantic fairly often, generally one flight of about 6-7 hours and another of 2-4 hours. There are times when that trip has taken substantially longer however including one trip of over 3 days.

The biggest thing is relaxing your standards. Now is not the time to enforce rules about limited TV watching and limited candy consumption! I bring along lollypops to help with ear popping and also to keep the boy quiet if necessary. He can watch as much TV as he likes on the little TV. Buy a variety of new and exciting thing like small puzzles, coloring books, and pocket computer games depending on age. Wrap them in tissue paper for extra excitement if you like, something easy to dispose of.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• my son is 3 and he has been flying since he was 4mths..lol! We carry a portable DVD play and use the visor cd holders for his favorite movies,so we carry those, his leapster w/ 3 games,snacks,his favorite cup, gummy snacks for him to chew for his ears, but we always do very early morning flights,becuase he will still be half asleep & once we board and up in the air he falls asleep for a few hours. Cut up peanut butter sandwiches,fruit,goldfish,cookies,chips,all that will keep him quite and calm,oh he likes flash cards,so we take some of those. Colors,etch a sketch( small one)all his stuff fights nicely in a backpack.We don't do diaper bags. Just some ideas hope these help
    BABYDRS

Answer by BABYDRS at 5:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2009