Will the hospital let me stay?

I am having my first boy in Decemer/January. And he is getting a circumsition (DH says he has to have it, so I dont have a choice although the whole thing scares me) So I am wondering if the hospital will let us stay an extra day or two so they can show me how to take care of it properly? I am really worried about this!!

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Health

• Most insurance does not pay for you to. Stay. My son was in the NICU and I was discharged. He was circumcised and he was fine. It's not open heart surgery.He'll be fine and it's not that hard to care for. They'll show you. Don't get all worked up for an extra day in the hospital,some of us waited weeks and months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• WITH MY 2 BOYS THEY DID THE PROCEDURE THE MORNING AFTER THEY WERE BORN. THERE REALLY ISN'T A WHOLE LOT TO CARING FOR IT. JUST MAKE SURE IT STAYS CLEAN. IT HAS BEEN SIX YEARS SINCE MY YOUNGEST BOY WAS BORN SO SOME THINGS MIGHT HAVE CHANGE. BUT MY GRANDSON WAS BORN 9 MONTHS AGO AND I THINK THEY GAVE MY DAUGHTER THE SAME ADVICE. I THINK I HAD TO PUT VASALENE ON IT TOO. BUT I DONT THINK THERE WOULD BE REASON TO STAY LONGER.
    thegbogles

Answer by thegbogles at 1:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• No the hospital will not let you stay for a circumcision. )Ou usually go home with baby like you normally would. It's not any different. You are worried over nothing.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• have you researched circumcision? All you do to care for it is stick some vaseline on it when you change his diaper! It takes literally about 30 seconds to show you how to do it so why would you need to stay extra at the hospital? I dont get it! Besides, after about 3 days you wont even need to do anything to care for it anyways

My son was too small at birth to get circ. so he had it done at 5 weeks old in the doctors office. We were in and out of there in 20 minutes!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Why would you need to stay? They circumcised my boys the day they went home. It's not hard to take care of,. They give you some antibiotic cream (or tell you to get some) and say don't get it wet for a week or so. Thats all there is to it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well they may let you stay but the insurance company will not cover it. Most of the time the insurance companies don't even cover the cost of a circumcision let alone staying for days afterwards to care for it and if you have any sort of medicaid they will discharge you as soon as possible.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• There is no need to worry about your ds being circumcised, it is a quick procedure they do usually the morning after your baby is born. They show you what to do when they bring him back to your room. Really they give you a tube of Vaseline and tell you to swirl it on so it looks like a Vaseline ice cream cone on top his penis. There is not much more than that for you to do! It will heal itself and his pediatrician will look at it at his appointments to make sure everything looks good and is healing properly! There is no need for a longer stay in the hospital because of it! If you have any questions or concerns afterward feel free to ask the nurses to help. All of my nurses were very friendly and helpful, they will help you with anything you feel unsure about!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• up here where I am you have to book a date with dr for circumcision after they're born. go in snip snip and then you leave.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm sorry, your DH says he HAS to have it? Is HE the one who is spending NINE MONTHS growing every little cell on that little baby's body? Do some research, present it to DH, and then tell him to shove it if you still don't want it and he does.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• first off, you and hubs need to agree on this ... it's a BIG decision...

secondly, they will not let you stay extra days for that. they will show you how to care for it properly before you leave...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009