Why would a parent not allow their daughter to have a doll?

At a family get together I found out that my cousin will not allow his daughter to have or play with dolls (she is almost 2). He was not there but I asked his wife and she just shruged and said "he just won't". Im very curious to find out why someone would not allow their daughter to have a doll. I cannot think of any reason not to and I think dolls are a great toy for girls......so, anyone have any ideas?

Love2BMommy77

Asked by Love2BMommy77 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I listened to a show about this on the radio a few months ago! Some people who were calling in and voicing their opinions on not letting their kids play with dolls was because of their kids self image. They didn't want their daughters thinking that Barbie is how they are suppose to look. I listened to everyone and even agreed to a point but self esteem comes from within so it shouldn't matter if they play with dolls. I have a 2 year old daughter who is a girly girl and I can't wait for Christmas so she can see all of her new dolls!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Girls AND boys should e allowed to play with dolls. They a great at teaching empathy and nurturing.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• When you find out let me know. My mom never let me have a doll and I wasn't allowed to read comic books.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Some people see dolls as giving the "wrong impression" to little girls kinda like telling them "here hunny, here's a doll for you to play with so when you become 13 you will want to have a baby" atleast that is the reasoning I have always seen behind most parents not letting their kid have dolls around.

Now bratz dolls are one thing.. but simple baby dolls I don't see the problem. Hell even my son has a baby doll my mom gave him before she passed away he doesn't carry it around or anything but he still does have one.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• That's funny. Seriously. All children enjoy taking care of dolls or animals. It's Life and the Circle of Life that they are learning about.

My MIL gave my son a boy (rag) doll. He cherished it and cared for it and called himself a "good daddy." He did give up the boy doll for "Cow."

Although Cow had horns and no udders, my son called it his "girl cow" and took good care of Cow. Cow was a stuffed cow to go with his barnyard (Boynton) theme in his room. He'll be an awesome daddy one day, too!

So sorry for the little girl with no dolls. They were my life when I was young and made a great "classroom" for me. I've taught school for 20 years now......
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Baby dolls are not just some toy. They are teaching tools. They teach children of both sexes how to interact in this world. I would say they teach gender roles as well, but I don't know if I would be that general. More specifically they teach the children how the culture of the family view parents. My friend's son sees more of a brotherly role because he has no father (he passed away before he was born), where as my daughter sees herself as mommy and she will drop the baby off with me when she has "class" or her husband is "at work".
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• What do they let her play with?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Anon :01, I'm just guessing -- maybe she can play with office supplies to get ready for her life in a cubicle. ha ha haha ha. I'm just kidding.

I've never heard of anyone not letting their kids play with dolls. That's crazy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Maybe he doesn't want her locked into traditional gender roles. Girls have to be mommies and boys work and support the family kind of thing. Seems extreem but maybe that's his reasoning
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had a friend who wasn't allowed to play with dolls because they didn't want her taking the clothes off.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 6:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009