I was looking through some of my old posts and........

I saw one about a cat I had saved and was talking about letting my cat have at least one litter before getting her fixed (all the kittens have homes never fear lol), and I had someone ask me if she is a pure bred. Why should pure breeds be the only ones able to experience motherhood? My mom has a Shitzu and she got her fixed right away. Not only is Maggie now overweight, she is a very mean little dog.

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pets

• My thoughts exactly! I have a long haired male cat who others have said is a "special" and "expensive" breed of cat but he's special to me because I love him! My other cat Shadow, I have no idea what either breed they are but I let her have a litter. I just couldn't get rid them, they were too cute, lol. I agree with you, people put too much value on breed rather than love!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I've wondered the same thing. Not only about cats, but about dogs too. What's too bad about it is that not everyone can guarantee that the pups wind up in good homes. I have a Chihuahua and I'd like to breed her once before getting her fixed - but I can't make up my mind about it. Between the old wives tales ( like breeding her will settle her down - and the the opposite one - breeding her could make her more aggressive) gosh, what do you believe. I guess each animal is different.

In our town, I wouldn't breed a cat - just because our stray cat population is horrible. And our Animal Control seems "kill happy".
    But, yeah, you're right. Just because she isn't pure doesn't mean she shouldn't be bred.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think that people ask if it is pure bred is because one of the reasons people bred animals is to improve the breed. It is of course your choice as to what you do with your animal. I do not understand the point of breeding an animal so that it can experience 'motherhood' only to give the kittens away.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Animals dont have a motherly love for their babies the way we do. They have them, raise them, and send them packing. They breed to keep their species going, not because its fun. It's an instinct, not a desire. You cant say your mom's dog is mean because she never had a litter. My dog never had a litter and she is a very happy nice dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Because BREEDING should only be done to better the breed, genetically and physically or to preserve a certain species. Thousands upon thousands of cats are put down every year. Millions of cats are in shelters in need of a home. Cats dont need to "experience motherhood", they aren't human and dont share bonds with their litter the way we do with our children. Cats dont have pleasure glands in their genital area, so if your referring to that you have some issues. Animals in general mate to reproduce and keep their species going... Obviously there is no need for that, because cats are over populated.
    As for your dog being mean because she never had a litter... Its a PROVEN fact that dogs who have experienced having a litter tend to be MORE aggressive than those who have not or are spayed(which tends to calm down their temperament). Do some research on the subject.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 5:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Cats dont have pleasure glands in their genital area, so if your referring to that you have some issues.

Actually, I was not referring to them having any pleasure...........and as I stated, the kittens ALL have homes, so, no need for you to worry about them being part of the over-population. thanks for your concern though! And the term motherhood was used for lack of a better word. And I did want her to have kittens because I wanted HER Vto keep going. .
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• the kittens may all have homes but do you know if they are reproducing more kittens that in turn have more kittens and then those kittens have more kittens and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on. i'm not saying i'm agaisn't breeding but when it comes to mutts then yes i have a problem with it. one, most don't want mutts they end up in shelters in their lives cut short. also i agree with anon. animals don't breed or mate to produce healthy little babies to raise as humans do. it's an instinct and they don't have the capacity to love the kitty or their kid as humans. only humans. god said to procreate and he did that for animals tooto maintain a species not to over breed. as for your shih that is mean it sounds like she was extremely spoiled and why she is mean. it has nothing to do cause she never had a litter. dogs and cats don't know they can get pregnant if they don't use birth control. a little joke.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes, motherhood is great, but the pet population is way out of control. I would never breed any of my animals as long as there are pets in shelters who need homes.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009