Feeding a one year old in the middle of the night....

Has anyone done this?? It seems that the day a baby turns a year old everything has to change according to a lot of people....my baby has been nursing at night since she was born. Within the last couple weeks SHE has decided that she is hungry but refuses to nurse....am I just supposed to cut her off just b/c she's a year old?? I have been giving her a bottle. I mean for goodness sakes, she still a baby...a week ago she was 11 months and now just b/c she's a year, she's a TODDLER?? And all these things are bad to do?? I don't get it....shoudn't things be done gradual?? What's it like with your one year old??

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son quit feeding during the night completely around 5 months old. She should have been broken of night time feedings awhile ago to be honest with you. At a year old she should be receiving more solid foods than breastmilk/formula so she should be more satisfied for longer periods (IE through the night) Chances are she still nurses at night for comfort not for food.. So if she isn't wanting to nurse during the night no you don't need to give her a bottle.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son gave up the breast at 4 and a half months old. He did use a bottle and had breast milk and formula mixed so that his transition wouldn't taste so different. Mammal milk is good for childrens' growth.

I let him take the lead. By one year of age, he was using a sippy cup.

Talk to your pediatrician.
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My kids nursed often still at one year old. They still nursed at night. Your breast milk changes as your baby grows. Breast milk after the first year is actually higher in fat and energy contents.
    In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    -- Dewey 2001
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My 11 month old doesn't nurse as long and as much as she used to. Sometimes its because shes teething. I think things should be done gradually too. offer her water at night time if she doesn't wan to nurse. good luck
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Some kids still NEED a feeding or two at night up to 18ish months.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My baby is 20 months old and STILL nurses at night when he NEEDS to. It is fine to continue night nursing as long as your baby needs to.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If you are giving a bottle, then that is why she isn't nursing. If they get used to the bottle, which flows freely, they stop wanting to work at the breast.

My 16 month old son still wakes for one bottle of cow's milk at night. He drinks 8 oz. and then goes right back to sleep.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2009