Do you allow this or do you disagree with it? How do you handle it?

My son is 6 and when I am in the restroom going potty I leave the door open and my son can come and go as he pleases. Sometimes he talks to me and sometimes he just comes in to see where I am. I am a single mom so when we are out of town or anywhere public, I have to take him with me. Whether he has to go, I have to go or we both have to go, we are both in the same stall together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's okay.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Better your son is with you in the stall than kidnapped from the bathroom. My daughter is only three and a half, but she comes in the bathroom with me all the time.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Nope I don't disagree. I would do the same thing. I am a single mom too but my daughter is 2yr and my son is 10 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would do the exact same thing in your situation. I see nothing wrong with how you handle bathroom trips.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 2:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have a daughter so it really doesn't matter. I suppose my son would go with me until he is old enough to stand by the door and wait without being in there. I have a brother who is 8 years younger than me...sooo kind of been there.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• He's your son...why would it be a problem?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I see no problem with that. I was the same way with my sons. Sending a 6 year old to a public restroom alone is what there should be a problem with. You keep him with you as long as you think is necessary. I'm sure you're the best gauge of when modesty will start playing a role in your home. Don't worry about what anyone else has to say about it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• He is only 6 so as long as he knows the difference for doing this between you and other people. For our house, it's normal to unlock the restroom, in case the kids need to talk to me but I told them not to do that to other people who visit our house.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I shut the door when im in the bathroom because to be honest sometimes that is the only time alone I get.. My son is only 4 but I still take him to the restroom with me if we are in public, I Just have him turn around and don't let him stare right at me. Otherwise what am I supposed to do ya know? I too am a single mom. I don't think it's wrong what you're doing
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We do the same thing. DD is 9 now and I will let her stand outside my stall, but where I can see her feet. My son is 4 and still has to go on the stall with me. It's pretty much an open door policy at home, but we're slowly developing boundaries. I'm not a single mom, but that's irrelevant when we're out and about and it's just the kids and me.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009