Home phone or not?

We are moving soon and getting an alarm system. It will be $10 less a month if we have a home phone, and the phone will cost $20 a month. We could cut our Verizon minutes in half and save about $10, so it would turn out about even. But it means that I will have to make all my local calls from the home phone, and watch my minutes on my cell. I work part time, and often make calls during lunch and during my commute, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea. On the other hand, my hubby will be deploying soon and it'd be nice to have a home phone, partially because I lose my cell all the time and this way I could call the cell to find it, but also because if the phone breaks or whatever, it'd be nice to have another phone. When I dropped my one cell in the toilet, I had no contact until I managed to get a new one. So what do you think? Home phone or no home phone?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Home phone. I pay $24 a month for my home phone, and I have unlimited long distance in the US. I use it when i'm at home to cut back on my minute usage. Especially since all my family lives out of state.

Depending on who your cell phone provider is, you can save minutes by only using your cell to call people that are on the same calling network. For example, I have AT&T, and I use my home phone to call anyone who doesn't have AT&T. And since I have free mobile to mobile calling, that means I have more minutes left over to make those non mobile to mobile calls when i'm not at home.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• OH, and saving the cell for mobile to mobile calls also means you'll have more minutes left over for when your hubby calls :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have a home phone and cut way back on our cell phone usage, and use maybe 20 minutes per month, if that. It's silly to use a cell when you have free long distance on the home phone already....
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have a home phone and cell phones. It just works better for us. The home phone is always nice to have plus we got an 80 dollar package from Verizon
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• HMM...tricky. I don't have a home phone cuz I'm never there anyway, and when I am, I don't want telemarketers calling me. lol. I have my cell...unlimited minutes. Maybe unlimited minutes is a good option for you? Also maybe try being a bit more careful so you don't lose your cell so often? It can get expensive if you have to keep replacing it, not to mention how annoying it can be to always have to search for it. Maybe get a case that you can wear on yourself. Hope this helps
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would get a home phone Tori. Just in case, as a back up. It certainly cannot hurt and you will have to be a little more careful on the cell phone but I think it will be worth it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Always get a home phone in case your cell phone breaks or dies and you need to place a call right away to someone.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We have a home phone for one main reason. Almost everyone has cell phones now a days but we had a sitter not that long ago who didn't and I had to leave mine with her and use a friends so I could keep in touch and just in case of emergencies. So I got a home phone to make sure that never happens again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2009