My son is BS-ing his teachers about what he is capable of...

My son got his first weekly report home Friday. It had note on it like 'unable to put numbers in order1-10' and 'unable to readily recognize letters' and unable to identify color words and shapes' Now my son has been doing all of these things for over a year now. In fact if he is in the mood he can sound out words and add and subtract sums under 15. The problem is he has to be in the mood to do it. Other wise he will say I dunno or I can't. Do I tell his teachers he is more than capable of this stuff or let it go for now. I mean they are reviewing right now so he may just be bored but it's gonna land him in the wrong reading and math group. After Dec. they separate into reading and math groups by skill level. what should I do?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think teachers LOVE to hear from parents. And if she knows he is capable then she will be better equip to teach him and help him learn even more!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would tell them, just personally.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would let the teacher in on his scam. Then again, the teacher may already be aware of it but her hands are tied.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My son did the EXACT same thing in first grade.
    The start of the year she sent home a page in the packet that said: "is there anything I should know about your child?"
    I said bluntly My ds will say he cant do things to get out of doing them.
    Plus they caught onto his game real quick. when rewards were being offered for being able to do things all of a sudden he could read and write like no tomorrow.
    I also think this is a boy thing LMAO My bf does the same thing
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would ABSOLUTELY tell the teacher. She's not going to know if you don't and he keeps up the game in order to skate by.
    Contrary to popular opinions teachers are not mind readers anymore than moms (we just like the kids to think so) LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My youngest did the exact same thing in headstart. I took her to the parent teacher meeting. The told me she could only recognize a couple of letters. When in fact she could read. I told her that if she wanted to go to school, then she had to tell the teachers what she knew. Haven't had any problems since.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• lol. I'm not sure telling him that would work since we spend every morning fighting then 'I don't want to go!!!' battle.(He's fine once we get there or to the bus stop however we are getting there that morning.)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009