Is there anything wrong with hand-me-down clothes?

Our older son has grown out of almost all his clothes. I want to give the clothes to our younger son but DH says that it's not fair. Is it okay to give our younger son the good hand-me-down clothes and get new clothes for our older boy? Or should we just throw it all out and buy new clothes for both boys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I always let the youngest choose what he wanted (from the pile of hand-me-downs) and the finished his wardrobe around that. That way he didn't feel like that's all he got (was hand-me-downs). I think it's important to make sure that the youngest has some sort of say in what he takes or leaves. (depending on his age of course).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If you don't want to hand them down, please don't throw them away! Donate them to salvation Army or Goodwill. There are millions of people who believe in recycling clothes and shop second hand. I am a thrift store junkie and my son wears all name brands that do not even appear to be "used".
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i didnt literally mean throw them away. lol thank you writeon of course we would donate them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with hand me downs, especially when they're little and don't care. Maybe when he's older he will care, but I really doubt he will ever care if he wore hand me downs as a baby. What I've done is saved my favorites and when my new baby comes (I have a boy and a girl already) I will use my favorite hand me downs and get some new things that I like too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I guess you didn't say your younger son was a baby. It depends if he's old enough to care I think.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• He's almost 4
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think if the older one gets clothes the younger one should get a few new things just to feel as important but I think hand me downs as long as their in good condition are great and he just might like wearing his BIG Brother clothes.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• For our house, we wear hand-me-downs most of the time from older kid to younger or friends'. My girls don't care much about that as long as it still is in good condition and their favorite colors/styles. You can keep some for younger one and add some new ones to his closet which is nothing wrong with it. Your DH wouldn't pay any attention to it.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• as long as there still fresh i dont see why not. i can understand him saying its not fair cuz it would seem like your 1st son got all new clothes and your 2nd son has all old already used stuff.it will save you money in the long run.i say you keep stuff that is barely worn and buy new outfits when he needs it.hes gonna outgrow it too.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Not at all. So they are used- as soon as a new garment has been worn by anyone, the child or his brother, it is then used. We saved money by using hand me downs both from the older son and from any neighbor who shared, and then we shared with other neighbors. It was a great way to save money that we could then use for necessities. To my mind, brand new off the rack clothing wasn't a necessity. Used clothing is new to the child (or adult) who receives it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009