Have you been close to divorce but worked things out?

How did you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• we're not married but have lived together for six and half years and have three children together. I have to say we've had our share of problems. I had threatened to leave him so many times throughout our relationship and even left to a shelter out here just to get out. When I got there i figured i'd rather put up with his crap than subject my children to a life in a shelter. Eventually things went back to okay and now they are really good. reason being about five months ago I packed my stuff and was ready to move out. I had a job, daycare set up and the works. Apparently he thought because i was dependent on him all those years I wouldn't do it.

I'll just say that we've managed to work things out by talking. I told him that when i was going to leave that if he wants me to stay he needs to SHOW me. I told him the qualities i want in a man and if he can't provide that I'll live on my own or find someone that will. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have been married now for 6 years but around the 4 year mark we had some issues. Nothing major like cheating or anything but we kinda grew apart. We forgot what it was that made us fall in love and focused more on our careers and the kids instead of us as a whole. We went to counseling and took a vacation together, just him and I and it's been perfect ever since.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I've heard of it happening but never experienced it. Once it got to where we discussed divorce our attempts at trying stopped but I did read in a book by Gary Smalley recently that it's a do-able thing. The book was For Better or for Best. It's a quick read so see if that helps

Answer by admckenzie at 3:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes -it was after 9 years being married, I had even started stocklpiling new furniture for a new house and arranged all the banking and started apartment shopping.

then we just had a really long heart to heart conversation and got EVERYTHING out in the open, cleared the air and vented.

we agreed to try to be more communicative and open with each other. that was 3 years ago - we still have rough patches, but are able to talk it out and be more open with each other.

takes a LOT of work, and a LOT of communication and effort.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes, about four years ago. He moved out. Determination, communication, love and forgiveness kept us together. We identified where we went wrong and worked hard to make it right. We learned from our mistakes and have had an awesome marriage ever since. Next May we will celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My husband have some close a couple times...He moved out once, and then right before he left for basic we decided we were going to go through with a divorce. A couple months in we decided we didn't really want to get a divorce and truly wanted to fix our marriage. Not saying it was easy, and we've had many ups and downs, even hit rock bottom. But we made the effort. Talked to eachother, did lil dates when we had the money, also started couples therapy. I'm not the type of person that normally like therapy and all that...but it really does help. It's made our marriage so much stronger
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009