is my son a thug?

My 15 year old smokes marijuana. He is a great kid, gets straight A's but will not stop smoking marijuana. I was never into that stuff my whole life and got far worse grades in school then he. I am morally oppossed to marijuana, so i don't know what to do? Everyone loves my son and he has a 3.95 gpa and is the starting wide receiver on the varsity football team.

lovelylinda32

Asked by lovelylinda32 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• A thug to me is a gangster. Someone who smokes pot I would refer to them as a stoner.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I forgot to add that if the school finds out, NO more football for him. You need to take care of it, good kid, likable kid or not. He's still 15 and in your home.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• A thug is more defined by how they treat other people, by the level of respect they have for themselves as well as others. I wouldn't allow the pot smoking - but to tell you exactly how to stop that behavior, I'm not sure of. I tried very hard to make my son stop smoking pot. Nothing I did ever worked. (And I had some pretty strong consequences for his behavior - including counseling, community service work, grounding, curfews) in the end, then only way I was able to curb it was with random drug screening, PLUS any dirty UA meant swift, harsh limitations on him. He stopped for a couple of years, but as soon as he turned 18 and moved out - he was right back at it. He still smokes it and he's 21 now. I hope for you, I pray for you. Good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yep a sure sign of a thug is a kid with a 3.95 GPA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't consider him a thug either. Smoking weed at 15 is a lil disturbing. Drug testing and being grounded I would do. If it continues way after he is out of the house and older just be thankful he isn't a alcoholic I find that much worse.
    MaryWanna

Answer by MaryWanna at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My kid wouldn't be playing football if he was smoking pot. Good grades or not, I wouldn't allow my child to break the law. Just my personal opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• a thug is completely different.hes a smoker.but if they find out hes smoking because i know some schools do piss test he will be off the team.he could just be curious about it now n might grow out of it. see how long he has using it n trust me you cant punish him or nothing because it wont work, honestly you have to accept it because hell always find a way to do it.im not saying condone it but its like what can you really do except talk to him.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 3:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• NO, HE IS NOT A THUG!!! HE IS A WELL ADJUSTED KID WHO UNDERSTAND WHAT HIS PRIORTIES ARE IN LIFE AND RELAXES SMOKING SOME WEED, NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS. NOW IF WERE TO SEE HIM SLACKING OFF IN HIS STUDIES AND CHANGING HIS HABITS THEN YOU GOT A PROBLEM, INVESTIGATE IF HE USING THE WEED TO FORGET OR JUST RELAX AND UNWIND.
    MOM, THINGS HAVE CHANGED, TIMES HAVE CHANGED, CHANGE IS PROGRESS AND NOT NECESSARILY ALWAYS BAD. EDUCATE YOURSELF ON WEED, READ UNBIASED SOURCES, THEN REASON IT ALL OUT. YOU WOULD RATHER HE WOULD BE DRINKING? YOU MIGHT BE MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL.

Answer by older at 3:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• What does it matter that he is smoking pot as long as he is getting good grates? Keep an eye on it because you dont want it to get out of hand and you dont want him making friends with the wrong people. but otherwise, let it be. (not saying that you should just let him do it whenever he wants. just saying rules are yours to make just dont be too hard on him).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Smoking Marijuana has nothing to do with being a "thug."
    monica_0017

Answer by monica_0017 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009