breastfeeding weaning and co sleeping...

i just need support,its been very hard at night but i have been letting her fuss a bit.shes getting to were she tugs at my bra and stuff.shes 15months and only has been eating from me 3times a day(when she goes to sleep)but at night it seems all she wants to do is suck on me even if she isnt getting anything out,she gets a pacy only when she sleeps and that works most of the time.how long did it take other moms to wean?i want to continue co sleeping until she is mabe 2 1/2 or 3

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I weaned my son at 19 months & we co-sleep. He was the same way in that he wanted to "nurse" all night long, just for comfort. I finally decided it was time to stop. I was really worried that he would never sleep again! I just stopped cold turkey. It was rough for about a week, as he was so used to going to sleep nursing, he didn't know how to fall asleep on his own. He would toss & turn and I just rubbed his back and tried to keep myself covered up (I wore a bra). Once he got used to it, he was fine. He sleeps so much better now, not waking up all night long to nurse. I thought it would be SO much harder than it actually was. My advise is be sure that you are really committed to stopping because it will be hard the first few days, and you don't want to give in a couple of days in. I was also surprised at how emotional I was about it! We still co-sleep & it is much better now. Good luck! PM if you have more questions.
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 3:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I weened at 18 months. . . we didn't co-sleep though so I think that was easier for us. . . It took about a month. . . before that I'd nurse him till he was asleep. . . the first week we nursed about 15min. the second week it was 10 min. nursing and then sit facing away from mommy and get a story and rocking. . . the third week is was 5 min. nursing then and then sitting facing away from mommy and get 2 stories and rocking. . . the last week I put up my boppy and we just rocked and read stories. . . Good luck. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I weaned at 18 months after finding out the night nursing was causing cavities! I was so upset at myself, and so i had to wean cold turkey... but LUCKILY she was fine.

I just told her NINNY GO BYE BYE! (ninny = tittie)

We co-sleep still...

that's going to be a challenge to get her out of that and into her own bed!
    MissCateyezz

Answer by MissCateyezz at 10:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• to OP: good luck! i have no advice, but i hope that it goes well for you and baby.

misscateyezz-it has been proven that breast milk does NOT cause cavities. so, whoever told you that needs to get a little more educated.
    http://www.mothering.com/busting-breastfeeding-myths
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009