Sahm moms who are also in school full-time?

How do you manage taking care of the kids, the house and the husband while in school. I am in enrolled in a eccelerated program with an online university to get my MS degree in accounting. I am already falling behind in the participation portion of the class. I am becoming mean, frazzled and increasingly irritable because I am unable to do it all as I thought I would. Am I alone?

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband was very supportive when I got my MS. We had a 5 year old and a 3 month old when I started. I didn't have to "take care of him" and he took care of the kids. I also commuted an hour each way and worked full time. DH was a stay home dad. I know you asked about SAHM, but your honey bun needs to help out 1-2 hours a day, so you can get your work done. It will only last the duration of the program. Hang in there and kudos for working on your Masters.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm single so I can't help with the husband part. But I'm in school full time and have a 10.5 month old and it's HARD.I basically use every spare moment to study. The house is a MESS right now. I'm taking today off studying(I did this am though) and cleaning. THen tomorrow is back to studying every spare moment.
    My DD wont sleep either, so I'm sleep deprived on top of it all. I hear you on the mean and frazzled! Get DH to come home and help clean or cook or watch the kid(s) so you can study!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm working on my BA in Secondary Mathematics. I don't know how old your LO's are but generally I'll do the cleaning and homework while DD (16 months) naps. And then she "helps" me cook dinner and do laundry. If I don't get my homework done during the day I do it after she goes down for the night an DH will often times clean up after dinner without me having to ask. Your DH needs to help around the house and with the kids. It is extremely stressful but you'll get through it. If you need to, leave him with the kiddos for a few hours on the weekend and go to a coffee shop, get a nice big cup of java and do your work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I just graduated from online school with my Bachelors in Health Administration. I am not gonna lie- It was rough!! I did most of my work at night after the kids were asleep. It will be tough- but it will pay off in the long run. Good luck!!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have insomnia and probably one of those there hyperactivity disorders....so that's how it works.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I feel you...it is so hard...i am in the same boat as u..sahm, full time student (online), clean, cook, take care of hubby, and our 12month old...its hard to try to study when shes awake..bcuz she just wants me to pay all my attention to her..and hubby works nites so he sleeps durin the day so i try to do everythin when she napping..but usually dont work...idk..its hard...he helps me when he gets off...but thats only if dd is still up..and im like im going to sleep..ive slacked a lil tho this past week bcuz it was her first bday!!! but my plan is 2maro get back on TRACK!!! GL!!!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• going to school online is not that bad. Try going to a physical school and taking care of your kids and working. (yes, I've done online school)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Nope not alone. I am pregnant, a mom, wife, I have school full time...I just finished 2 projects that were due today. It is TOUGH! Last block of classes I made A+s in both courses, now my grades this time are A-. I can admit I'm not putting my all into it from the fatigue and other obligations. But I have to stick with it.

I get my grant money in a few weeks. Can't drop out lol.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I find going to school online to be extremely easy. I have been doing it for 2 years but am also an undergraduate.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Going to school on-line is much more difficult because you dont have a set time to do your work. You cant leave the kids with a babysitter and go to class, you have the kids in the classroom with you! I wish you luck and I know that if you ask for help, you will get it. Make up a schedule or something that you can show hubby or your family and they can take turns helping with the kids or whatever else you need.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009