Should I go?

My little boy starts Mother's Day Out on Tuesday at a church. I'm not sure I believe in God as taught at church but it's a good program and I don't mind my son learning about God. I plan on teaching him about other religions as well. Tonight there are having a prayer meeting for all the kids and teachers. I don't want to be the only one not there but I feel awkward with people praying around me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are not comfortable you should not go. I doubt you will be the only ones not there people are busy they miss stuff. Its cool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would say go, just to support your son. He needs to know that even though this isnt something you personally believe in doing, you support him in doing it
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I WOULD GO, YOU MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SURPRIZED! IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO HURT YOU. IF YOU FEEL TOO UNCOMFORTABLE YOU CAN ALWAYS LEAVE, I WOULD GO! CHECK IT OUT!

Answer by older at 3:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• do you have a problem/issue with praying to God..or is your god different than the one this church will pray to/teach about...i'm sure this issue will come up again, if this is the case. bearing that in mind, you do realize what you/your son is about to become involved in, yes? i mean, be fully aware that even though you might not believe as this school/church does, they aren't going to teaching your son the way you might. i'm just saying...
    should you go or not? that's totally your decision. if you're uncomfortable now, with a prayer 'meeting', its not likely to change during the program he's enrolled in. you could look at it as a test for yourself, and a way to make sure this is where you want him to be.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would go, instead of worrying how awkward you feel why don't you pray and focus on your prayer and not those around you, this came out sounding rude but I don't mean this and any rude way. Good luck and God Bless

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• There are good reasons to go and at the same time, if you don't want to, I don't think you'll be the only one missing. As far as your son feeling 'left out', it sounds like he is too young to take that on. I don't think he'll be aware of whether the other kids and their families went to something that he didn't.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 4:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If you just want this to be a learning experience for your son, I would skip the prayer meeting. You wouldn't want him to learn that one should feel pressured to participate in portions of the activities that make them uncomfortable. On the other hand, it could also educational for him to see how a prayer meeting works. Though if you choose that route you should talk to him about what makes you uncomfortable about it, how other people might have done things differently, etc. He will notice if you are uncomfortable & he will feel better about it if he knows why.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If you don't feel comfortable going don't. My girls used to go to Sunday school (because they wanted too) but I don't believe in organized religion so I never involved myself with the church more than I had too.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009