How do I go about home schooling ?

Hubby and I have really been talking about home schooling our girls . What is the 1st step we need to take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First thing would be to find out what the homeschooling laws are in your state. http://www.hslda.org

My husband and I are both homeschool graduates, we'll be homeschooling our children, although our oldest is only 18 months old at this point.  If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message and I'll do my best to answer it or help find the answer.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• First you'll want to see what the requirements are in your state. Some states are more strict than others as far as homeschoolers reporting to them the progress and whatnot, of your child(ren). Then research on the web the different curriculums available to you. There are so many to choose from these days. It is actually very easy and really fun and rewarding to homeschool. We did it for about 5 years. Good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/showall.aspx

This has a whole bunch of curriculums listed here. You can click on them to get reviews, and then figure out which ones you want to look up further.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• 1-Find out the requirements in your state.

2-Find a homeschool group that fits your family for support and activities (not needed, but it helps.)

3-Go to the library and read up all you can regarding homeschooling.

4-Join the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CM. 6000 members to offer support and advice. Not needed, but REALLY HELPFUL. ;-)
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree with all the pps but i wanted to add congrats and good luck! Its a great thing that you are taking your kids education in to your own hands!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Also find a local homeschooling group for your state. You will need the support. They have been through this and know the drill. They know what idiotic things the schools ask for and know what is right and wrong. My group is my biggest asset.
    DevilDuckie

Answer by DevilDuckie at 12:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thanks ! I have been wanting to home school for a bit .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes Good Luck on Homeschooling Honey I Know u and Your Child Will Enjoy it! It will make u realise too how much stress public school can put on you and your child once u get away from it! I wish more children were homeschooled, if the parents were able too. They are much more happier children when they are homeschooled.
    brenlanmiamom

Answer by brenlanmiamom at 9:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2009