does it matter what drugs your husband take when trying to get pregnant?

ok my neighbor told me that because my husband is taking pain killers i am not going to be able to get pregnant. my husband is prescribed tramadol for chronic back pain would this really affect our ablitiy to have a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I took pain killers prescribed by my primary doc and ob before my pregnancy and during for bowel adhesions, and my son is perfectly fine. GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yeah. Your husbands genes are the foundation of the baby pretty much. If you husband smokes there is an increased risk of miscarriage for your offspring and a decreased number of sperm. If he is taking recreational drugs ( like pot, cocaine, or heroine) It is really bad and honestly, I'd hope you wouldn't be trying to have a child while he is on drugs. But if it is medical drugs then I'd do a lot of research on that particular medication. Good luck on ttc
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I got pregnant when my husband was on oxycodone among other perscribed pain meds. There was nothing wrong with my son BUT I would tell you to rethink this. You are going to be in for a long road if you are pregnant while your husband is having all sorts of medical problems. I am just telling you this speaking from my experience and it has been one of the hardest things I have ever been through. I dont know how powerful the drug your husband is on compared to what my husband was.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• UM NO GETTING PREGNANT DOSNT HAVE NOTHIN TO DO WITH UR HUSBAND TAKIN MEDS...ITS ALL ON UR BODY AND NOT HIS..
    JENNIFER_007

Answer by JENNIFER_007 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• All I know is that MJ lowers sperm count.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009