Can I give my baby godparents even if we aren't catholic?

I would really like to ask my best friend and her husband to be my baby's godparents. I'm not catholic. I'm methodist. does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check the teachings of your church. Are your friends Methodist? A GodParents job is a promise to the parents and to God, as well as the church as a witness that day, that they will ensure the child be brought up in the ways of the Church.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes you still can,godparents are who gets your kids if anything ever happens to your or their father.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I am not Catholic either (was raised Catholic but not practicing any longer) and both of my kids have Godparents. I think that the idea of Godparents is that they will be an example to your child and help raise them to know God. I think if that is what you want to do then just do it.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm not catholic and I have Godparents and so does my son.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm not Catholic, but at my church we believe in baby dedications and believer's baptism... My baby is getting dedicated in two weeks and she will have God-parents standing at the front of the church with us and taking vows with us. A God parent's purpose is to help guide the child in learning about God... and if something were to happen to the parents it is not their responsiblity to raise the child, but they have a responsibilty to make sure the child knows about and keeps God first.
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009