Water to drink?

My daughter is almost 7 months old, and I am not sure if I should be giving her water, or not.. or if it matters one way or the other..

She is breast fed and has started solids (rice cereal, veggies & fruit).

thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 3:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• an ounce or two wont hurt her, but she doesn't NEED it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Exactly what the previous poster said... A little won't hurt but it is not needed. My baby didn't start drinking water until after his birthday when he finally figured out the sippy.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I went ahead and started my kids on a sippy of water at 7 months. They were both BF, but it's nitce to go ahead and introduce the sippy so they can get the hang of it. You just want to make sure they don't get too much water. Like maybe just give a sippy of water while they're in the high chair.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• No need she gets all she needs in breastmilk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I started my kids on sippy cups with water at 6 months. He didn't get much out of it in the beginning, so he wasn't getting too much water. Babies don't NEED water, but it was the healthiest thing for me to let him practice the sippy with - juice has too much sugar, and I breastfed (could have pumped, but I enjoyed the closeness of nursing)

Answer by missanc at 6:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You CAN offer a bit in a sippy with solid meals, but it's not necessary at this point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009