I think my 14 month old might have croup- has your baby ever had it?

For the past 3-4 days he's had a cough that wakes him up at night. The first night he had a slight fever but just that one night. Then last night the cough changed, it sounds really deep and painful; he cried every time he woke up (7 times.) I gave him some water to drink each time and he eventually went back to sleep. I'm worried because I've never heard a baby cough like this.

I don't think this calls for an emergency room visit and I work 9-5 so it's going to be difficult to get him in to see a doctor since they are open 9-5. I am also hesitant to take time off since I've only been working this job for a month. He is fine during the day- walking, eating and playing just fine, but I have noticed that when he naps the cough comes back.

Has anyone experienced anything this? Could it be croup in your opinion? Your experiences will better help me decided if I should take off work or try to ride this out. Thanks.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 3:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Croup sounds like a seal barking... it's a throaty kind of cough and often time they sound funny when they cry or even when they just breath... but it's all in the throat (so if it sounds chesty and deeper than it's probably not croup)
    The BEST thing for croup is cool air (not easy to come by in the summer) but if you open your freezer door and let your baby breath in the cold air it will help calm the croup.
    It used to be said that steam and humidity helps, but it has been proven it does nothing to help.
    Try to keep your child as calm as possible.. crying and a lot of activity can make it worse.
    When you child is sleeping keep them at an incline... you can do this by putting a pillow under the matress of their crib.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my son had croup and it was horriable.. sound like he may have croup u should take him asap. if u worried about saving a lil money ur selffish because its no joke. my son had too have steriods and cheast xrays . but if u make him wait he will prombley be admited into hosptial for a few days .. a friend of mine babby had too stay .. croup swells ur airways making it hard too breath !! take him to doc get a doc note for work. whats important ? i think ur childs health is
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I second Ami. But when I was a kid we'd rotate cold and warm. We'd do warm air(steamed shower) then cold air. It helped me a lot. I STILL get croup sometimes. :/
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• this baby needs too go to doc instead of sittn infront of a fridge with soome cold air, he really needs some meds right away! i hope u have gotten ur on to the doc by now
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thanks for the advice ladies, he's fine. I spoke to his doc on the phone who advised giving him honey for the cough and Vick's rub. The cool air seemed to help too, I left the window open last night. The cough seems to be going away, it wasn't nearly so bad as it had been. He only woke up once toward the morning and wanted his sippy.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009