Being induced tomorrow (medical reasons, no bashing please)

Today is DRAGGING BUTT!
My induction doesn't even start until 7 pm!
Anyone that has been induced, any words of wisdome, or willing to share your experience, and or fears?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's GREAT! There is NO guessing and no fear and you'll get your epidural on time! It'll be a piece of cake!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Totally agree with the previous poster. I'd rather have an induced labor than wait around for it to kick off on its own. Much easier. BTW...I've been through both...induced...and natural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Relax and try to get a gooooood night of sleep. It'll be awhile till you get another night like that. :) Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have been induced twice and am hoping to be induced again this time! It is so convenient to know when you are heading to the hospital! Although they say the induction is starting at 7p, that is just the cervadyl so it wont start until the following morning. Hopefully they will give you a sleep aid (all of our hospitals do) that night or else you wont sleep for $h!t!!

Words of wisdom... the epidural is a Godsend! thats about all I have to say! Oh yeah, and be patient... it may take a few hours for the pitocin to start doing its job but once it does, you will have a baby before too long:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I know you'll have the jitters, but try to sleep while you can! Induced contractions are usually pretty intense, so you'll need that extra energy later on.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• relax now- i was induced b/c i was in labor for two weeks w/ no results:(- the contractions after i got 12 grains(?) of pitocin were SOOOO strong- i went so fast after they broke my water that they couldn't give me an epidural after i asked for it.
    six hours was all it took; i would plan for an epidural unless you can handle more pain than Rambo;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Good luck and congrats I was also indused for medical problems, I don't want to scare you but I was in labor for 22 hours, however i would be induced again if I had the chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Don't let them use cytotec/misoprostol to ripen your cervix -- it is not safe nor approved for that use (there are warnings on the label). Cervadil is the best option.

Have them use the lowest dose of pitocin as you need. There is no need to crank it up. The uterus is a muscle and it does get fatigued without rest. Pitocin contractions are very different than natural ones and they do know this.

Be sure that IF you have an epidural that it is also the lowest dose you require so that you can move around, feel something, and change positions (don't let them force you on your back all the time it is not a good position for blood flow nor for the pelvic outlet -- it makes your pelvis smaller). Be prepared for the side effects...do ask about them.

They will likely insist on monitoring you constantly, but it is best if they use a monitor that allows you to get up. Being bound to bed is a bad idea. Demand freedom.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Amileegirl said it well:
    Cytotec is not the pregnant woman's friend. :-( Do you know the strategy for tomorrow?
    I highly recommend doing what you can to stay upright and moving as much as possible. This is really important to help baby to work with contractions, with gravity. Baby can better wriggle down... And it's comforting to wriggle, move, and moan.
    Do what you need to for helping progress.

Stay strong, it's almost baby's birthday!!! Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• lol good luck & best wishes for a safe & healthy birth.. & QUICK!!!! im 25weeks with my 1st && i'm praying to God i get induced!!! lol it'd suck to be a surprised deal.. either way u go from my driveway ... steep hill.. left & right. i live in the valley of the valley lol && im scared to death imma have a surprise livin' 25 30 mins away from hospital... lol with icy roads & bridges to get there... triple the time!!!
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 6:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2009