Temple Names??

I've been trying to learn more about the LDS religion and some of the inconsistencies are bothering me. What is the point of a new name if everyone who goes through the temple in the same day has the same name, but you're never allowed to tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• this is a really touchy subject- i can give you lots of info, but it will get people less worked up if i can tell you through pm- my dad studies religions, specifically, the ones classified as cults(like LDS). if you have any questions, please pm me, and i can answer most of them; if i can't i'll find out from my dad.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Not everyone knows that. When I went through the temple I wasnt aware that everyone got the same name.
    That might be one thing.

The dealings inside the temple are also considered very sacred hence why they are asked not to talk about them. If you hold something sacred and close to your heart you arent always going to go out and tell everyone about it right? Thats how it is about the temple stuff, its near and dear to their hearts and their beliefs and not something they go out and tell everyone about when they know there are those who make fun at it,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It says in the bible that our bodies are the temple....not with things built by man's hands.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Our bodies are temples however, back in the day(bible days that is)there were plenty of temples built. Most famous would be Solomons and there they performed sacred rites as well that not everyone was privledged to be a part of.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, not everyone is able to be part of the mormon temple, not even all of the LDS members. You have to be recommended. But if receiving a "new name" is supposed to be "sacred not secret" how come even the members receiving new names going through the temple for their endowment get lied to? Why do they lead people to believe that their name is unique to them? It seems like a manipulation tactic. Sort of like, "hey lets make these people feel special so they go along with the garmies, anointing, and being married to the church before their own spouse."

I don't know, I thought the religion looked nice until I started researching it more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Its not like that.

Its not being outright lied to its just never brought up. Maybe its mentioned in temple prep classes. I never took those so I wasnt aware and I know many others who werent either.

Honestly, I dont think they lead people to believe anything as far as the name goes. I know I just assumed it was unique to me, I never asked and so I never knew.

And you are right, you have to get a temple recommend to enter the temple. Its based on whether you are keeping the commandments or not. If you arent then you wont get to enter the temple.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It is not mentioned in temple prep classes, in fact it isn't mentioned at all, the only people who seem aware are ex-Mormons, and the temple recommend system is obviously flawed since it is decided by a bishop after speaking with you and inquiring about certain commandments and possibly even if you are still wearing your garments(which I know is important in the religion since they are supposed to protect you but wow! What undergarments are you wearing? really?) as you should. If you question anything they can deny you access to one of your houses of worship. I wonder why the temple is so taken out of reality? You have to pay 10% of your income to be allowed inside and often times you have to travel to get to the nearest temple. Still being tithed for church membership is so odd to me, shouldn't everyone be allowed whether they can afford to give away ten percent of their earnings or not? the church hierarchy aren't hurting.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Tithing is something that was taught in the Bible, thats where that comes from.

Ya, only ex members seem to know about the same name thing(hence why I know about it). However, does it really matter when you boil it all down?

They believe what they believe and they believe in the purpose of it all and what it ensures in the hereafter,etc. Not really gonna change anyones mind by picking it apart or getting angry at it,etc. Just leaves the one complaining with the sour taste in the mouth not the members who believe they are doing it because its commanded of them and they will be blessed,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2009