Did or does your prenatal pills make you sick?

I've tried 3 different kinds of prenatal pills and they all make me feel sick. Is it ok that I not take them everyday? I have huge cravings for spinach, corn and brocoli. Would you consider this an ok replacement sometimes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• have you tried cutting them in half and taken one in the a.m. the other before bed. or take the whole thing before bed. both those solutions worked for me. as far as veggies being a substitute, i doubt they'd be a good replacement for all that you would get out of your prenatals, you'd have to talk to your ob about what you'd have to eat to replace them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• No I do not consider that a good replacement however... I wasnt able to take my complete prenatals til about the 5th month in any of my pregnancies so I stuck with folic acid (for the babies nuerological development) and B6 (for energy for me) the combo of the iron & calcium in the complete prenatals is most likely what is making you sick. Right now, the baby is getting everything it needs from you EXCEPT for the folic acid so you DEFINITELY need to take that!!

Go to Target, Walgreens, walmart (or something similar) and get the amount of folic acid & B6 (2 different pills... both VERY small and very inexpensive) that is in the prenatals that you have
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the same thing happened to me. i couldnt keep anything down when i took them. my doc told me i could eat (2) Flinstones chewable vitains in place of the pre-natal.
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Thats exactly what my midwife told me to do! Eat 2 Flintstone vitamins, it's the same thing without making you sick. I got sick when I was taking them with my first child so I've opted to not go through that again.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Mine made me sick, doc said two flintstone vitamins a day- I eat the chewy kind... YUUUMMYY!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my prenatals also made me sick- i took the flinstone gummies and chewables. i alternated b/c one would start making me gag, so i would switch to the other. two a day is what i took too.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i take my prenatals after dinner on a full stomach with a full glass of water and have never had a problem with them. but the flintstones plus a folic acid supplement is a good way to get the vitamins you need without upsetting your tummy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You should really try to take your prenatals every day. Even people with the healthiest diets can always use the extra nutrients for their babies. Taking them right before bed really helps with the nausia and make sure you never take them on an empty stomach. Talk to your doctor. There are some prenatal vitamins made especially for women who experience a lot of nausia. Sometimes the extra iron in prenatals can make you feel sick.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 2:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2009