Is it okay to pump before you deliver?

I know this will sound weird but ever since I got my pump I have been antsy to use it! I have only barely started to get colostrum (spelling?) and am only 32 weeks. I just want to know if it is okay at anytime before delivery to pump? Or do I have to wait until he arrives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For the vast majority of women there is no need, nor a good idea to pump before birth. Colostrum (the first milk) will develop even if you don't leak. Not everyone leaks or gets engorged. Not to mention, that a lot of women can't get much stimulation from a pump.

I don't see the point, if a woman happens to develop early, in freezing milk unless she planned on going back to work immediately and decided to take advantage of the surplus.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Wait. No reason to do it now, and you could set of preterm labor. Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin, a labor hormone (among other things).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• NOOO- pumping can cause preterm labor!! Also it can cause you milk to come in early, and baby needs that colostrum, which is why it take a day or two for milk to come in after baby is born...Colostrum is babies immunesystem, you milk continues to help, but if you CAN'T continue breastfeeding, as long as you got the few days of colostrum in, baby is better off that never having it at all..

wait it out, TRUST me, pumps are not fun-

You will soon learn that.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• UM DO U WANT YOUR BABY TO BE DELIVER PREMATURE? CUZ PUMPING WILL BRING ON LABOR. ALSO YOUR MILK DOESNT COME IN TILL A FEW DAYS AFTER THE BABY IS BORN. THE ONLY THING U HAVE IS COLUSTRUM.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• 2 the women saying u dont get milk til after birth - why then did i get milk and leak when i was 29 weeks prego? i was engorged so bad by a few weeks later my doc said 2 pump and store it so i did! i didnt deliver til 38 weeks 4 days! u should prolly just talk 2 ur doc see wat he says if u get milk u mite b able 2 pump b4 u deliver
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Hmm that sounds like a question for your OB personally. I know that many women say that it will bring about labor, but I was under the impression that labor inductions done at home like that only work if you are on the verge of labor as it is. I know that a few years ago I developed milk in both breasts without even BEING pregnant (& I know it wasn't pregnancy, I had been with a girl for a few years so unless science has reproduction completely wrong there was no way I was pregnant). The doctor said that sometimes it just happens, but because of that she mentioned that if I did become pregnant in the future it was likely I would develop milk early & told me the best thing to do would be store it in freezer bags until the baby was born. I'm guessing that goes for everyone's milk supply before birth (which makes me question where people are coming up with "no milk before deliver" answers). Just ask your OB at your next visit.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the women saying u dont get milk til after birth - why then did i get milk and leak when i was 29 weeks prego? i was engorged so bad by a few weeks later my doc said 2 pump and store it so i did! i didnt deliver til 38 weeks 4 days! u should prolly just talk 2 ur doc see wat he says if u get milk u mite b able 2 pump b4 u deliver

then your strange cuz i have never met a woman who's milk came in before delivery
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009