Is there proof that swine flu is no more serious than regular flu?

My DH wants my 16 month old to get the swine flu vaccine even though we never get the flu vaccine. I say no bc it's no more serious plus it is so new there have been no studies. He says yes bc it is specifically for swine flu unlike the regular flu vaccine. Also does anyone know if it is a live vaccine? Bc DH got sick for 2 years in a row after the regular vaccine which is why DS doesn't get it. DH thinks swine flu is a lot worse then regular flu and thousands of people are going to die, even though people die from the regualr flu.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Health

• go to the cdc website(www.cdc.org) and read the q&a about swine flu- it will put a lot of concerns to rest, and also tell you what to look for. in MOST people, the swine flu is no more serious than regular influenza; however, in some children, young adults, older adults, and people with chronic health problems, dangerous secondary infections and complications can pop up, making it more likely that they will be hospitalized. the cdc site should be able to tell you about the vaccine as well, and who should and shouldn't get it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Swine flu is like other flu's those most at risk for serious complications are the very young and old, those with supressed immune systems, Asthma etc....The biggest risk that this H1N1 has is that it can become a wicked respitory infections and again, those that are normally very healthy might be sicker than a dog for a while, but not in need of hospitalization
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Right now, the Swine flu is no worse than the regular flu but it has been hybirnated all summer. It is expected to be an epidemic throughout the country and world. Schools have Swine Flu protcols in place to help prevent the spread of Swine Flu. I am getting my son and myself the Swine Flu and regular flu shots (as I have done for over 10 years) and neither of us have ever had the flu. It is a personal decision that you and your hubby have to make. Be warned that the Swine Flu is expected to affect kids, teens and those with some other underlying medical conditions the worst.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If you get the H1N1 vaccine for a child, have your doctor order the single dose, preservative free vaccine; the regular vaccine has thimerisol/mercury.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009