Does anyone know anything about the legal aspects of marriage licenses?

Ok so I am really bored today and I decided to make a bunch of picture videos. I was taking my friends wedding pictures off her myspace to make one for her and I happened to grab one of a close up of her marriage license. I happened to notice she signed with her married name (obviously not her legal last name since it was signed on her wedding day). Can she do this and it still be legal. I am pretty sure they stood over my shoulder when I got married to make sure I signed with my maiden name (which of course at that time was my legal name still)

mommyin07n08

Asked by mommyin07n08 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Call the courthouse and ask. I know I had to sign using the legal name I had before the ceremony took place

Answer by admckenzie at 5:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had to sign mine with my married name because it was signed after we were legally married. Don't you usually sign it after the ceremony?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We didn't sign the marriage certificate, our maid of honor and best man did. Our names were printed on it and the minister brought it along to the wedding.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Ya you sign it after the ceremony but your name is not legally changed until you change it through social security. I got married at our local court house and they made me sign it with my maiden name. I couldnt even change my DL until I proved I changed it through SS and she got married in the same state as I changed my name (I got married in another state but didnt change my name for a year)
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i was told to sign with my married name, i got married at the courthouse. i didn't change my last name until like 4 months later on my SS card and DL.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Legally, you are not married until the officiant signs the marriage certificate. Generally, the bride and groom sign it, then the witnesses, then the officiant. The bride should have signed her maiden name as that is the person who is entering into the contract.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009