c-seactions and breastfeeding?

there is a chance I might have a c-seaction, and I want to breastfeed. is there a way I can tell them NOT to feed my baby with a bottle? b/c I know that I'll have to go to recovery for a little bit, can i breastfeed her when Im in recovery?
and is it hard to b/f a baby after a c-seaction compared to natural birth?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had 2 c sections and my baby never was away from me.... I wouldn't have it. I wanted to nurse and I was scared they'd accidently give 'em a nuk or formula. Your helper/partner/husband whatever should stay with the baby while they stitch u up. they'll get great pics, too, and probably bathe 'em! then partner and baby meet up w/ u in recovery. dont leave the baby alone or let them goto the nursery if you're really hellbent on nursing.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes you can tell them that. or if someone is with you during the c section they might let that person go in the recovery room with the baby until you get stapled up then you go in there. thats what they did with me. and i was brought in there and instantly started breastfeeding.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• write a birth plan.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes u can. while i was at the hospital(noraml delivery) my son was nursing every 30 mts. i was so tired i send him to the nursey. they had a sign on his bassinet that read I EAT FROM MOM) cute but one night the nurse came in and said he was hungry if i wnated to nurse i ddint so i asked them to please give him formula thru a syringe. and they did
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• they also make tees, newborn hats, onesies and bibs for newborns with sayings varying from hilarious to serious to clever.... to try and help unintended circumcision, nuks, formula, etc from happening in hospitals.

My son wore a "retract my foreskin and my mommy will sue you" set for his 3, 6, & 9 month wellness checks, lolz.

On cafepress there's a LOT of cute and friendly reminder type clothing. examples:

http://shop.cafepress.com/design/12287532
    http://shop.cafepress.com/design/32412572
    http://shop.cafepress.com/design/4856862
    http://shop.cafepress.com/design/8686366
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Nurses are notorious for deciding to give your baby water or formula or a pacifier without your permission. Don't leave your baby alone with them. Tell your support person to stay with the baby at all times. Yes, you can nurse in recovery in most hospitals. May I ask why you think you'll need a C-section?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Oh, and yes, it's a little harder to nurse because most positions put pressure on your incision and it hurts. But you can still do it with lots of pillows and perfecting the side-lying position early. Have a La Leche League leader show you how, or ask to see an IBCLC (not a dumb "lactation nurse" a lot of them know nothing).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Write a birth plan. Tell them to not give the baby formula. I had a breastfeeding consultant in my room pretty often after having my son due to my c-section. It hurt to put him on my stomach. I had to use lots and lots of pillows until he was a couple weeks old.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My dh stayed with my son the whole time after the Csection, and yes I nursed in the recovery room. I can't imagine the nurses at my hospital ever giving a unwanted bottle to a baby - they were all SO pro breastfeeding. I had 4 kids there and got to know some of the staff. lol I didn't find it much harder to bfeed after my Csection than I did with my 3 previous vaginal births - I used a pillow between my stomach and my baby and that was enough cushion for me. The lactation consultants were extremely helpful to me!

Answer by missanc at 6:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• be sure you dr. knows that you want to breastfeed, it may help to have a doula, she can make sure you get what you want.
    haileybeth

Answer by haileybeth at 6:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009