I have wanted to know this for 2 years.

I have been wanting to ask a question and haven't known how to word it until now. Thanks to someone else's post on here. My daughter has my last name on her birth certificate. I didn't put her dads last name on it because I didn't want her to have a different last name than me. Her dad and I have been together 4 years now and see marriage in our future. How do I get his last name on the birth certificate? Please no bashing. Just need some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• You go to the social security office and request to legally change her name. You will probably have to go to court and have a judge decide on it, and pay the legal fees for that. It's a big hassle :( I'm sorry.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yeahhh that's gonna be a judge. and $$$$$$$$ :(
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes go to social securtity, it shouldn't cost no more than it does to change your name when you get married! Good Luck and hope things turn out to be great with your family!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Contact your local Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk in your state and let them know about your case and ask for any fees that you might have to pay. Contact your local courthouse. I hope this info. helps you. Good luck to you mama! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• OP here: I forgot to mention. I live in Texas and she was born in Maryland. Do I need to contact Maryland or can I do it in Texas? Thank you for your answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Exactly what the first poster said. The Judge will decide if it's in the child's best interest or not. Good luck to you. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I never heard of a judge having ot be involved, I'd contact the Social Security Office where you go to change your name and see what they tell you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• you shouldnt need a judge...call the town in which she was born and tell them you need to change her birth certificate...they will tell you the necessary paperwork you need and how to go about filing it...then it goes before officials and they change the info and send you her new birth cert...then AFTER you get her name changed on her birth cert you can change her SSI name...you cant do that till after cause they will need proof of name change.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Go talk to a lawyer. You will need to change her name legally

Answer by louise2 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You should be able to just go to the court house and get it done. I'd do it at the same time you get your marriage license.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009