How do I get my 19 month old to listen to me??

I am at my wits end with her!! She is only 19 months but she understands the word "NO" but it seems like she dos'nt care! Sometimes if I say No she will run as fast as she can to get whatever it is before I can catch her, She dose the same things everyday she acts like she dos'nt hear me literally! I have tried getting on her level , Using single words like NO and even smacking her hands, time outs but she just dos'nt care! She is very hard headed and I am gonna go crazy! LoL I know she very young but how do I get it threw to her?

toledoohiomom

Asked by toledoohiomom at 6:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes I agree with Anon. You really cant expect her to listen yet. Try distracting her and only use NO if it is something that can hurt her.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• just keep doing what your doing momma! just make sure you follow through....not only do you have to do the word but do the action...if shes trying to get something...and you say no, take it away from her...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Pick one form of discipline and stick with it. If you choose time outs, stick with what you say and be consistent. If she gets out before her time is up put her right back without saying a word. When her time is up, tell her why she was put in time out and have her say she is sorry and give you a hug. Good luck mama.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• She's too young for time out. She can't understand the concept. Plus it is one minute for each year. One minute is just a game to a 19 month old. She obviously does not understand what the word "No" means so you have to repeat it often. I'd put up things she shouldn't be touching. If you just say "no" all the time she will get desensitized to it and it will have no meaning. As for smacking her hand, that only teaches her to hit so stop using that method. Instead of trying to keep teaching her what NOT to do why not try showing her what she CAN do without getting in trouble? Home should be child friendly and safe from things that she can get hurt on. You shouldn't have to keep telling her no all the time.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It is hard but your daughter sounds age appropriate to me. If she goes and get something you tell her NO to then go take it and say "mommy said NO" dont laugh becuase she is so cute. You can also try distraction with something else. But make sure when she does listen you give her lots of praise!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• sorry i forgot to add that she was a micro preemie (4 mo preemie) so corrected age is 15 months she has very little verbal skills, but if your standing next to her and tell her no or close it she listens. Thanks-
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 6:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If she's only 15 months adjusted, you can't expect much yet. Don't use the word NO so much - avert her attention instead with something safe/wanted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009