I need some help! Breastfeeding question please don't judge!

I went my whole pregnancy without smoking well today my SO was smoking OUTSIDE ALWAYS! and I smoked a few cigarettes I have since pumped and discarded the milk feedign my newborn only what i had stored up... So my question is how long will it stay in my milk before I can start giving him BM from me again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 hours per cigarette
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You dont need to discard your milk. http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    Dont worry no bashing. Its great that you are breastfeeding!!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeeding123/fast-facts-about-cigarette-smoking-and-breastfeeding/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Something you might want to think about tho, if your baby is still a newborn be careful about giving her a bottle. When they are little like that they sometimes prefer the bottle because it is easier to get the milk out.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• the milk is still good for him.. but in another sense ITS NOT, SO YES DISCARD UR DAMN MILK it still has shit from the cig in it.. so read the effects and then decide if u want to give it to them. A mother that breastfeeds SHOULDNT ask this question if u decide to smoke give the baby formula so u dont have to worry about it!!! ur puting ur child at risk and that to me is choosing cancer over ur child.. JUST QUIT. and dont tell me its not easy bc i have done it TWICE. with out smoking a few here and a few there! Mothers say they would do anything for their kids but yet choose to smoke go figure and NO this is not bashing its my opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It should be fine in a couple of hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes...breast is best but...http://www.drgreene.com/21_717.html

try your best to not smoke anymore and i agree with you dumping....i pumped and dumped when i took cold meds even though people told me i didnt have to. i woud rather be safe than sorry....just like i can't STAND when people think they can get drunk and go home and BF! i dont care what anyone says, its too risky...good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• anon 7:13, mothers that smoke are still advised to breastfeed rather than use formula. Moms that do smoke should ideally quit, but if they can't then they should try not to smoke more than 15 cigarettes a day.
    It is suggested that you wait at least 90 minutes after smoking before you nurse. You can feed your baby now.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• daynaof3 is right :~) My pediatrician/lactation consultant (he is both) gave me the same info
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i dont smoke,but i know a few who do and still breastfeed,i dont know the effects
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009