Who do you think this verse is talking about?

Revelation 17

1And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

4And the woman was arrayed in PURPLE and SCARLET colour, and decked with GOLD and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "And spiritually this would be a false religious system leading men to a trust in something other than Jesus Christ for their relationship with God, trusting in their works, their goodness or something other than Jesus.

In the Bible, in a spiritual sense, adultery is the worship of another god. And so God said the nation of Israel in the worshipping of Baal, Mammon and Molech and so forth were committing adultery. They had gone out in their whoredoms. So, false worship of God or the worship of other gods is spiritual harlotry. So the great whore that has lead so many people into a false hope because they are not worshipping God in spirit and in truth according to the word of God."

I don't have time to answer it myself, I am going to church soon, so I copied and pasted from my commentary.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• After reading Cinnamon's response I have to say that this sounds like the catholic church... They aren't bad people but it sounds like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• http://www.ihop.org/Publisher/Article.aspx?ID=1000041112

This explains it but with everything, check it out yourself as well. There is an mp3 with this as well but you have to go back to this page http://www.ihop.org/Group/Group.aspx?ID=1000036428 scroll to 2008 Nov then click on second one the mp3 link. There are others Im sure .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• When reading the book of revelations we have to remember that it contains symbolic language borrowed from the OT, especially Ezekiel, Zechariah & Daniel, and can't be taken as literal descriptions.

Otherwise we'd have to visualize Jesus Christ as a lamb with seven horns and eyes (Rev 5 & 6) literally, which is a little repulsive, IMO.

But if we want to point fingers, we should consider Planned Parenthood:

Purple, scarlet, gold - represents royalty & wealthiness. PP is a very lucrative business, not only receiving $ from Medicaid, insurance & private payors but also Susan G Koman Race 4the Cure (30% goes to PP)

Inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk - killing unborn humans is a "woman's right"

Fornication - gives away BC & condoms to encourage an over-sexed world

Seven (universal - 7 continents) Horns (power) - PP is called PP in the US but branches of another name exist throughout the world
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I do not believe it has anything to do with the Catholic Church.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I suspect it is a man who is experiencing sunstroke...or high on some kind of wacky weed. It can be interpreted dozens of different ways.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I do not believe that it is possible to interpret Revelation bit by bit. It must be taken as a whole as well as interpreted using the rest of scripture and a knowledge of ancient Greek and Hebrew symbolism to be interpreted. I think Cin gave a very good overview of what the passage in itself may be referring to but it needs to be put back into context (as I already described) in order to see how it applies eschatologically and to whom/what specifically the passage may be referring to.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I know that God has revealed to some what this scipture entails but I for myself don't really comprehend it. One of the things I have been told is that when learning scripture it's kinda like this; when you learn the alphabet you don't start with the letter z....DO what you know and understand; and if you continue asking for God's help and guidance, and are patient God will give you understanding and wisdom of the sciptures. You could have all knowledge and understanding of even the hardest to understand verses and it wouldn't make an ounce of difference if you don't already apply what has already been revealed to you. God gives you what you need to know...and even if you don't understand these versus doesn't mean they don't apply, But God's way is meant to be simple and not confuse. His way is Christ....and to focus on Him is everything God wants us to know. What you can derive from Revelations is the fact that the day is...
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Coming when God's Kingdom will have full reign and control, and that the power of Satan will no longer have sway. Also God's judgement and those who will be with Him when His kingdom reigns. I think that is the most important thing you can glean from Revelations.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 10:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The answers to these questions is in the Left Behind series of books. Read them. The Book of Revelations is the telling of how satan will con the humans who have been left behind after the Rapture. It also describes how those who see they are sinners and worship God, will be protected. I do not argue religion. Almost every religion I have studied agree the Book of Revelations is a blue print on what is to come during the Tribulation.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009