How should I start babyproofing?

Son is 9 months and very close to crawling. He scoots and rolls everywhere. My hubby and I are starting to babyproof this week, by getting locks for the lower cabinets and plastic covers for the electrical outlets. Any other ideas? How did you babyproof your home?

sweetmoonem

Asked by sweetmoonem at 7:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The two moms who have posted above me have cover a great bit! You may want to move lightweight furniture (like small tables, floor lamps if you have them) out of sight for now. Be mindful of the refrigerator and dishwasher - babies think they are so cool, lol. If your sound system/tv is in reach for your baby and you don't have TV cabinet doors, they make these plastic shields to go over DVD/TV buttons - found at babies r us. Also, you can get padding for coffee tables and such. Lol, yes the list IS endless. Might as well bubble wrap the house ;-). HIDE power cords if you can. Best wishes!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Make sure there is nothing he can pull over on himself like a tablecloth with stuff on it or a small end table when he starts pulling himself up. Look for stuff that he can break and choke on. Get on the floor and get a perspective from his view. Put cords away. Anything you dont want him to have you better pick up. Gates on the stairs. Dog food and cat food and the water bowls always seem like a main attraction to my kids. The garbage can too....
    The list is endless. Oh and the bathroom! Yikes. Get a seat lock for that or make sure the door is always closed.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• table cloths,plants,get a trash can with a lid,make sure pictures on the wall are soild,my lil one has tried banging on the wall to make them fall,i had to take some down just becouse i didnt want hem falling.also i moved our coffe table off to the side so our living room has more space and she wont trip into it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009