Allowance and chores for my 8yr old daughter...

Weekly she cleans her bedroom and her bathroom. I come along behind and check it and have her finish if it is not done. I also would like her to participate in household chores such as take out the trash, dishes, dust, stuff like that. I would like some kind of chore chart and what is appropriate at this age for an allowance? How many chores is enough? I do it all right now (except her rooms)

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 7:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8 year old daughter cleans and vacuums her own room every week, plus one other room of my choice. She also cleans the mirror and counter/sink in her bathroom. One day a week (the days are split up between our children) she takes out the trash, sets the table, wipes down the table and sweeps the floor after we eat. Starting this week, she'll be doing one load of laundry/week as well. She gets $4 - $2 to spend as she wishes, and $2 for her savings account at the credit union.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't have the 8 year old take out the trash, but dust, vacume, fold towels, etc, that's all good! At that age privilages, should be allowence, a couple of things a day, and some things weekly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• This is what I would do:
    If she cleans her room and bathroom without you having to tell her buy her something she REALLY wants in your price range.
    Then once she just COMPLETELY cleans her her room without you EVER having to say ANYTHING give her just two more chores.
    I wouldn't make her take out the trash unless you go with her.
    But once she does EVERY SINGLE chore you apply her to without saying one word about it start giving her 3 dollars a chore a week if she does it properly.
    Hope I Helped
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 7:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I meant two chores at a time in my last answer.
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my 8 yr old dd dusts her room & her 2 yr old bro room, mops the kitchen & bathroom, & windexs mirrors & windows once a week. on a daily basis she hangs up her & her bro clothes & takes out trash. instead of an allowance she gets rewarded w/ sleepovers, play dates, toys, movies, etc.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My daughter is 8. She keeps up her own room, takes out bathroom trash, feeds the family pet, and passes out forks at dinner. Her allowance is $5.00 a week. She has to save half. The other half she can spend on whatever or save it.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My older 3 kids (9yo girl, 7 1/2yo boy and 6 1/2 yo girl) have to keep their toys and books cleaned up, dirty clothes in their hampers. The older 2 do their own laundry (including loading the washer and turning it on, same with the dryer and folding, putting clothes away). The 6yo helps wash/dry her clothes but folds and puts it away by herself. They sweep floors, unload the dishwasher (without help), scrub counters/tables, put dirty dishes in the sink, clean up any messes they make in the kitchen or living room, help carry in groceries, take the trash out to the alley, keep the front and back yard picked up, water the flowers (or shovel snow in the winter) and pick up trash in our yard and the neighbors' yards. The only one they get paid for is picking up the neighbors' trash. Otherwise they are expected to do chores for the benefit of the family.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my daughter is 7yrs old. She has to clean her own room, feed her kitten and make sure it has water. She helps me do the laundry and dishes. She puts the dirty supper dishes into the sink and she helps me sweep the kitchen floor. She either gets money or a special movie or toy she wanted on pay week.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My 8 year old cleans her room (this is an everyday thing) she has now just started putting things back after shes done and making her bed when she gets up so she really doesnt have a whole lot to do. She cleans up the play room at night and she sweeps the living room (hardwood) every other day. Now thats in summer during school I will help her keep up on things I don't think it's too much for an 8 year old to do that. She will also make her baby brother a bottle here and there and make my bed if she sees I haven't without me asking her and she gets a little extra for that..But we generally give her $5 every friday if shes done her chores..
    Rebecka83

Answer by Rebecka83 at 1:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• all my children help with cleaning the house, laundry, yardwork. I do not pay a cash allowance for helping with household chores. Instead they get dance lessons, go out to eat, day at the zoo.....
    These are privileges that are earned by helping around the house.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2009