Does this stuff freeze well?

I have another freezer question! I'm thinking about sides that freeze well. We love potatoes, so my list consists of mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes and funeral potatoes. (That's a casserole of shredded potatoes, cheese, soup and sour cream. REALLY good!)

I'm just wondering how all these things freeze! And need more ideas for sides! BTW.....how does cooked rice freeze? Or cooked beans?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 7:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Just freeze the damn food, it freezes in the freezer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• if your going to cook and freeze potatoes for mashing...when they are done boiling freeze them when they are still in cube form....as for shredded....freeze them after shredding them...but with both these methods make sure you blot off as much water as possible before freezing!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Gee thanks anonymous. But i'd rather freeze food that actually tastes good when it comes back OUT of the freezer. Maybe you dont mind eating crap, but i like my food tasty!

Thanks for the tips blueeyedgrl!!!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Funeral Potatoes cook fine, either before cooking or after. Not really sure about the mashed and twiced baked though. Potatoes can get weird in the freezer. ( Tried freezing some potato soup once and it didn't turn out well.) I think the funeral potatoes work because you're usually dealing with frozen hasbrowns that have already been thru the processes that make them freeze well. II don't know about rice and beans either.

Sorry, not much help, but I do know the funeral potatoes are good for freezing! I do it all the time!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Potatoes are nasty reheated, I never eat left over potatoes, that's the one food I don't eat like that, but I'd go with mommaturbo, maybe she knows.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Thanks Nika! I'll make sure to use the already frozen hashbrowns when i do those! I was wondering about the sour cream and stuff, thinking maybe i should cook it first. Glad to know it works either way!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Nika is right, fresh potatoes don't freeze very well. As for sour cream, it may separate a little in freezing, but it actually comes out okay after being cooked. Rice freezes pretty well in a sauce or with some broth. Beans also freeze well in casseroles, or in broths. They may split, but they will taste great and reheat great. Remember that the freezer dehydrates foods, so if the recipe has a sauce, make a little extra for freezing the recipe so they don't dry to much. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I've done it both ways. When I do cook it, I don't cook as long as I would to serve. More often than not I DO cook before hand though.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009