is it my falt

my six yearold wont listen to me but he will everyone else he has adhd -odd

worrywort38

Asked by worrywort38 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• adhd has nothing to do with y he doesnt listen to u and listens to everyone else.. please do not use that as an excuse... i dont know what to tell u and we dont know if its ur fault we are not there to see what ur doing try changing his punishments! be a lil more strick?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Don't use his ADHD as an excuse for why he won't listen to you. I have know idea if it is your fault or not, you haven't given enough information. I can definately say it is NOT because of the ADHD. Maybe sticking to your punishments might help. Don't back down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my kids don't listen to a word I say either....they're 8, 6 and 3.

eliminate the distractions and then say what you need. creates the whines but works in my house.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My ds just started K. His teacher has bragged to me about how well behaved he is but I'm thinking to myself, "seriously is she talking about MY child?" No. Not really. I know he's good for her and for others who have been responsible for him in the past but he's comfortable with me. He knows how far he can push me and what he can get away with. So, as for me and my house, yes. It's my fault that they call my bluff because they know I won't follow through on a certain punishment. It's my fault when he comes home from school in the afternoon and unleashes all the pent up energy on me because he knows he can get away with it. Because I have taught him through experience that these are the things he can do and get away with (even if I tell him he's going to time out or get a spanking or get something taken away or whatever), I get ALL the negative behavior and everyone else gets the Angel.
    Sound familiar??
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Wow. I can't believe I just openly owned up to all that. Too bad we have to learn from our mistakes with our own children, huh? BTW, his lil sister is more well behaved because of the mistakes I made with him.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• adhd & odd are not excuses. They are challenges. You know what they used to call odd before it became a dx? STUBBORN. You just have to be a tougher parent. Set the rules & consequences & stick with it. It's exhausting & demanding. But it does work.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Honey don't listen to these people. ADHD and ODD are behavior issues. People that dont have these problems with their kids just don't understand. Reward good behavior, thats number 1. Stickers work. Give your child an easy everyday chore. During punishment, make sure you stand ur ground. Take away that favorite thing. Write out a list of rules. Establish 3 rules at a time, Its hard for them to remember more than that when ur dealing with something negative. Use stickers every time he obeys you. Tell him a sticker is worth a penny. Just remember to not back down on punishments. Spanking does not work with these type of issues. Message me if you want to know more. My son is on meds and goes to counceling and therapy.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009