Why not take out the trash?

I've seen two people say that an 8 year old shouldn't take out the trash and I'm wondering why not? Is it where you live? I mean, we live in a safe neighborhood and she knows to wash her hands after she puts the trash bag in the big trash can. I guess if we live in an apartment building I wouldn't let her take it to a big dumpster or anything, but we live in a single family home - is that the difference?

Asked by missanc at 8:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have a problem with it. We live in a single family home and the garbage cart is kept next to our garage. We don't have an alley either. If the bag isn't too heavy it should be fine. My daughter is responsible to cleaning out the garbage in the bathroom. She ties up the bag, tosses it, puts another bag in and washes her hands.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i would say its ok if ur child can lift it.. 8 is not too young to clean up and learn how to keep a house clean no matter of where u are i think its ok.. u can ALWAYS watch them as they do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• WTF people were saying that? Weird, I think that would be ok.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Because people are overly paranoid. My son is almost 8 and takes the trash out to the alley and has since he was 6 1/2. Sometimes his sisters (now 9 and 6 1/2) help him. They also play outside without me there and have for over a year. We live in the city (Chicago) and it is perfectly safe here despite what most parents want you to think.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• my 8 yr old dd takes out the trash. we live in a nice family neighborhood. she walks down our diveway puts in the trash can & comes right back in the house & washes her hands. i dont see a prob w/ it unless you live in a bad area.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My 7yr old helps me take the trash out..plus she helps me throw the crushed boxes and wood items into a special that my landlord burns..
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My 6yo takes the trash outside. We live in a house on-post and our trash can is outside in front of our garage. I don't see the problem.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Nothing wrong with an 8 yr old taking out the garbage. There are just too many overworried, overbearing moms on this site. Too many moms don't want their babies to grow up, do chores, or anything for that matter. Your child is fine taking out the garbage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009