If from DH's salary alone you had $400 left over a month after bills would you feel comfortable being a SAHM?

Thinking of becoming a SAHM. A tad worried financially though. We have $400 a month left over after bills on just DH's salary. Would that be enough for you to decide to SAH? I only make $600 a month full time so we wouldnt lose too much money. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• im a stay at home mom and when i was working i was only bringing home 400 a month fulltime.most of our money goes in gas becouse we live so far from everything and toward food.its worth a shot as long as hubby if fine with it too.if anything you could get a part time job working like 15 hours a week,dollar general is good for low hours like that.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You'd probably spend more money on daycare, so yes. However, I'd figure out more ways to cut back to build up a bigger emergency fund. Considering this economy, I wouldn't want to be living paycheck to paycheck if I could at all help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Sadly thats about where were at right now. It is very uncomfortable as we have to budget well and hardly any money left for play. To make things worse I started school so now were really brok but I think it will all work out in the end (I should get a PT job though I think it would help).
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• sounds like our situation. i used to work, but we moved and the jobs around here would pay me next to nothing. so i went back to school instead. ( not that you could tell, sorry -i'm typing w/ 1 hand)
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It depends on you, will you be OK staying at home, or will you go nuts?! If you will be saving money on childcare, and spending more time with the kids and hubby then I would definetely say do it. Some of us do it because we dont have a choice, but it's not an easy thing to do. Think about it before you do it, it's not just about the monetary aspect.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 8:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes I would, just look for deals on cloths, compare store ad's for groceries. What I learned is the more money you make the more you spend, besides staying at home is great for bonding with your kids.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes i think $400 a month is defently ok. Make sure you fit your grocery shopping into your regular "bills" and then i think you'd be ok. I asked my hubby and we live off of his one income and he says that that should toatlly be enough. Yes i agree with the above anonymous answer, start building up your savings, maybe put half of the $400 into savings. Then use the $200 or so for misc items for the paycheck to paycheck period. If you guys have $400 left over after everything then you hubbys doing really great. Make sure you tell him he is great. I also reccommend a book for newly stay at home moms.......it is........."The Stay At Home Survival Guide" ........By Melissa Stanton. I've been a stay at home mom for 4 years now and this book totally covers everything. Hope i helped. Have a good night.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The book is so you dont go nuts............just so you know.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I would have to know some other things first. Like, when you say bills, do you mean things like gas and groceries, too? You say you make $600 a month - how much of that are you spending on child care and gas getting you back and forth to work? Because of your job, do you eat out a lot, or do a lot of the more "instant" sorts of meals from the grocery store - the stuff that costs more money? If you stayed home, would you be willing or able to do more cooking "from scratch" - which is cheaper?

I think I would sit down and make a list of things like how much you spend in gas getting to work, how much you spend eating out b/c of your job - both on your breaks at work and because there isn't time or your too tired to cook, how much you spend on child care, etc. Then I would make a list of where you might be able to save money in your budget.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• cont

Then, after you've broken down all the expenses and made a budget each way, see how much money you would have, and if it was enough to provide for you, with some left over to start building an emergency fund (or, if you have one already, to keep contributing to it).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009