Anyone have breastfed baby that is on solids (9month old) that is constipated?

I am not sure if he is truly constipated so if you could tell me about you babies stool! My LOs is patty like and I can always dump it off the diaper in one piece is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little one has always had kind of runny stuff,but sometimes have had some like that,do u put any water in his juice? does he get any water at all?
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• That's normal. Constipated is when it's dry, hard, PELLETS. Nurse before solids and you'll be fine.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• That is normal.. Constipated is when he doesn't go during his normal time. Say he usually goes 1 per day, but now he is only going once every three days. Or if his poo is dry hard pellets. Usually then he will have a terrible time pushing it out. My DD would cry and try very hard not to poop. She would also sometimes bleed.

Your BM will have enough fluid with the food you are feeding him to be sufficient with liquid, juice or water is NOT neccessary. If you still think he is constipated, look at the amount of fiber in his diet. My pedi had me put ground all bran in my dd cereal (rice or oatmeal). She was not a big fan of it, so I put it in yogurt or applesauce and she liked that. Babies need between 5 and 15 grams of fiber.

Good luck!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• This is very normal. If you are breastfeeding the breastmilk is 80 to 90% water so that is unnecessary. Just breastfeed before you give solids.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• to the fiber answer: I asked my nutritionist about childrens fiber needs. It is their age( in years) plus 5. so a 1 yr old would need 6 grams etc. To the Op My son went through this recently (6 months old) and dr told me to use prune juice as "medicine" and give glycerine suppositories as needed. i don't like giving him juice and he didn't like it either, so we cut that part out. suppositories help. I give him water as he is growing well and the Dr. doesn't argue with me doing it. Try giving prunes/ apples/pears/ barley cereal: just stay away from bananas for a couple days. He really isn't constipated yet, but if he seems uncomfortable/ in pain some of the above can help. Do what you think is right and/or talk to your Dr.
    cbowman82

Answer by cbowman82 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Try stage 1 prunes. Theyre not as potant. Once or twice in a week, might regulate him. Dont make it a habit though.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 10:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I, too, have heard 5 grams plus one for the child's age. When my DD developed constipation at 7 1/2 months, I gave her miralax as the pedi directed. I didn't want to medicate my child, for a food issue, with miralax or suppositories. I carefully researched and discussed proper nutrition with a couple of doctors and a nutritionist. While 6 grams, may be the minimum, it is often not enough. When I increased my DD fiber intake to 10 - 12 g things improved dramatically. She never has to take medicine for constipation because she has a wholesome and well balance diet.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 11:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Thanks everyone, I dont think he is truly constipated just formed. Thanks!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009