Is this normal?

When I was at my Childbirthing class the teacher asked us what we liked most about being pregnant and every other mother (all four of them, five including me) said nothing, that they hated being pregnant. I was the only one who had a real answer. I said I loved being pregnant. I love feeling my daughter move. I feel so empowered knowing I created life. Is it normal to have such hostilities? I felt like the odd man out!!

JocelynAaliyah

Asked by JocelynAaliyah at 8:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I loved being pregnant!!! It was the only time the baby was all mine. We were together all the time. I use to call her "TC" travelling companion. You will be a good mother.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I did too. Maybe they were just to shy to say anything.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We all bring out unique histories and endure unique situations during our unique pregnancies...

Like you, I LOVED! pregnancy. Even though it often was VERY uncomfortable!! (I gained 55-65 pounds with each baby, making it hard to move...)

But maybe more moms need more help to find ways to feel more comfortable ~and more supported.
    Encouragement can also affect our perceptions. If moms are having a harder time at home, work, life, they might see pregancy as more of a drag.

I love birth & pregnancy, I am a Birth Junkie, so I agree with you, but we might be uncommon, lol!! ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You should feel good about yourself for saying that aloud hating your pregnancy is like hating your baby because it is the thing that is hurting them but the baby doesn't know any better.So just say what you mean and mean what you say.
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 8:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think it has to do a lot with the cultural mentality. Think really hard about the conversations you've had with people who are only interested if you've puked yet, or if you are miserable, or "done" yet. There is precious little uplifting, empowering conversation. Pregnancy in the American culture is something to endure and get through. Pregnancy is seen as an illness and something to cure and manage. It's certainly not given a high status and that rubs off on people. To be happy and pleased and content and to find pregnancy enjoyable is abnormal. Watch people's faces when you say you feel great...they look confused.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I absolutely LOVED my first pregnancy. I felt good the whole time and was just so excited and happy to be carrying my son.
    It has taken me longer to love this pregnancy because of some struggles early on, I miscarried last year and have been worried about losing this one. But now that I'm feeling the movements practically all the time, I'm feeling like I did before (even though I do have the common aches and pains)
    I also don't understand how someone can hate pregnancy-unless they're one who gets really really sick a lot. But I guess not all women handle the pains and the changes so well. I was totally ready for it. the ones who hated being pregnant are the minority among the people I know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i think it's part of the culture too. it's like the thing to do to complain about pregnancy. when my MIL told me she felt excellent when pregnant i was surprised because i had never heard anyone say that before. sure there was some bad stuff, and i would like to talk about that with my friends too but i also liked to talk about the good stuff and all in all i enjoyed being pregnant very much! i know some women are sick the whole time so i wouldn't expect them to say that! but surely they could think of something they liked about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I loved my first pregnancy, this second one for me though has been hard. I have a lot more aches and pains and I'm soooo tired cause I have a 2 year old son to take care of on top of being prego.
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 8:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009