Breast Milk For Ear Infections?

So, I still haven't determined whether DD has an ear infection or not, but if she does, is it okay to squirt bm into her ear for it?
I read it on a few dr websites, just wanted to see what mama's said about it.
Als0, my grandma mentioned sweet oil?

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 8:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her to the doctor to see whats causing it. If she needs an antibiotic, breast milk will not do the job. I'm totally pro-breastfeeding and pro-natural remedy....but breast milk and antibiotics are 2 very different things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i don't know about that. i do know that if you breastfeed, your child will have less ear infections. i was formula fed and i get ear infections all the time.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• 3 drops of Bm 3 times a day, it will not hurt even if theres no infection, 5 rounds of antibiotics including shots...only things that cleared it up and kept it away was BM drops...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Anon-not true...Bm can do all kinds of things better than meds..it works to clear stuffy noses, heals cuts, clears acne, antibiotic ruins intestinal flora so if you can avoid it...all the better...its worth a try and it won't make matters worse
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My DH just got an ear infection and I had read on many sites (and from many breastfeeding mothers) that breast milk in the ear was fine to treat ear infections. My DH was like...uhhhh.. okay.. so I squirted some in his ear in about 2 days it cleared up!
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• In LOTS of cases, baby ear infections will clear up if untreated, so the BM is probably doing nothing. I have heard that it has probiotic (i think) qualities, and can sometimes help treat pink eye... so maybe it does help ears too. I don't know. Squirt away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009