Any recommendations on a reliable thermometer for infant?

My son has his first cold this weekend and I took his temp rectally and the thermometer ranged from 101.8 to 99.6 all in a matter of 1 minute. Does anyone else have such variations or do I just have the worst thermometer? Does anyone have any recommendations on a more reliable rectal thermometer? Thanks

wellsymom

Asked by wellsymom at 9:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Health

• I use the digital ones (Digitec...I think) available at your local pharmacy for around $6. They work great and are accurate. Hope little one feels better soon. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have one of the basic ones as well and they have always been accurate. We bought one of those that you run over their forehead (like at the hospital) for about $50.00. It didn't work. Then we bought one of those that you put in their ear (Vicks) for about $70.00 and it it so off it's not even funny. We are now back to our $6 or $8 basic one from Walmart. Hope you have better luck.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009