Hair Products, Blowdryers and Hair Straighteners...

I want my daughter to get her hair cut - she's 6 and she probably will. It's so long and thick right now - and straight. But then she gets her hair cut, I'm thinking I'm going to buy some hair straightener protection spray and straighten her hair. Do y'all think it's too young? My sister would straighten her stepdaughters before school when she was about 8 years old and her stepdaughters mom got really upset about it and said she was too young. If I don't straighten my daughters hair, it will probably get frizzy and be thick, ect. Do y'all think it's too young to straighten or blow dry or use products on your kids hair?

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a stylist I would have to say no on all that. If it's too thick maybe have them thin it a little at the nape of her neck.Use a heavy moisture salon shamp and cond like Back to basics heavy moisture(yellow bottles).It's affordable and is great for kids. It's gentle on the eyes and works like a dream. Hair is very managable.Flat iron can damage hair and if she doesn't like it she may not appreciate it when she becomes a teen and it's time for her to discover her own style and care for her appearance.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Using a product like gel, no. Blow drying, no. But my 6 yr.old would never sit still long enough for me to SAFELY straighten her hair with an iron. She has unruly short hair (she cut her long hair off) and usually a blow dryer and some gel type stuff (I'd have to go look at what it's called, but it's not actually gel) and she is fine.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It's really up to you, but a six year old, who cares if her hair gets to frizzy and thick she only six, in my opinion best thing to focus her on is education and not how frizzy her hair is, jmo
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• @loooovemybabies - I understand and we do focus on education but also I want her to feel pretty. I do try to put more emphasis on her education but it's important for some children to look nice.

@steff107 - thanks! I do want her to get her own style and care for her appearance and she does. She wants to look nice and cute. Thanks for the tips!
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009