What is.... What religion...

What is a "sinners prayer" and what religion goes to church every day of the week... I guess also what religion believes in sinners prayers???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most Christians have a former of The Sinners prayer as do Catholics, at least the ones I know. But going to church everyday of the week, I don't know. I guess some Christian denoms could do it, but I don't know of any.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• The term "The Sinner's Prayer" is kind of a Christian Cliche'. It refers to someone's first conversation with God after deciding that they believe and want to follow him. Naturally, your first conversation with God would ask for forgiveness and invite him to abide with you and guide you. I've met many people under the misconception that the Sinner's Prayer is a qualification for salvation. I do not believe this to be true. Although it is common sense that a prayer will be said, as the first of many prayers, when one comes to Christ, it is your faith in God that justifies you. I have never prayed the sinner's prayer. I believed in God and Jesus before the time that I even have memories of.

A paralell to the concept of the sinner's prayer can be found in Romans 10:9
    "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Would the "Act of Contrition" be a sinners prayer:

"My God, I'm sorry for my sins w/ all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against You whom I should love w/ all my heart. I firmly instead, with Your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Lord and Savior Jesus suffered and died for our sins. In His name, my God, have mercy."

I try to say this daily.

Or there is the Fatima Prayer, called that because it was revealed to the three children by Our Lady in Fatima:

"Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy."

Sorry, I really don't know what a sinners prayer is.

We (Catholics) do have daily mass, usually in the early AM, and I'm sure daily mass is on EWTN in the am. But I only go on Sundays.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yeah what November said. Biblically there is really no such thing as an actually sinners prayed. It comes from believing in your heart and confessing that Jesus is Lord as will as asking for forgiveness and repentance of sin. I was never led through a sinners prayer , my friend just told me to ask Him into my heart and when I did I started my journey in building a relationship with Him. Its not about religion which is made up of legalistic rules and regulations but about building an intimate relationship with the One that created you . There are times people do lead someone in prayer and there is nothing wrong with that :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• As for church daily.. I do not go to a building daily but because I am part of the Body of Christ which is the church. I am in it 24/7. We are supposed to be walking in His presence in a supernatural way. That is normal but because it is new to people it seems abnormal. Its like moving to a new place or country, at first everything is new and you have to learn that way of life, its the same thing with our relationship and walk with the Lord!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2009