Sex-Ed. Are you....?

I am 150% pro sex-ed. Especially in minors, but also through college age and adults as well. I think that the free condoms that health clinics offer are an amazing thing! My college clinic had a basket-o-condoms sitting on the desk so you didn't even have to talk to anyone. Now in high school, sex-ed programs hand around a basket and tell the kids that they are welcome to take one, but not at all required to. I think even at the high schools the free condoms are a good idea, because-let's face it-they will be having sex. If not in high school, then soon after. I'm not saying ANYTHING about parenting. I know some people will respond to this and say, "well, not my kid-I will raise them better." Yea, guess what, your kids having sex too. C'est la vie of the human race. I'd rather them be safe and not have a million unwanted babies. What are your views?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am for sex-ed in h.s. and beyond. I would like to say that my children will not have sex before they are married but IDK what choices they will make. I won't be there looking over their shoulders at all times and they will have to be responsible for making what I hope is the right choice, NOT to have sex until they're married. However, if they choose to have sex before they're married, I want them to be informed and make the next most responsible decision. I hope to keep an open line of communication over the next several yrs (they're only 3 and 5 now) so that they'll be able to talk to me and dh about it, but if they're not comfortable with that, a school sex-ed "basket-o-condoms" would be a fine place to get 'em. Furthermore, there are some kids who are getting NO sex-ed at home and this is the only way they're going to get anything but the giggly stuff from friends and glamour from movies/ tv.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree!!!
    Sex ed is TOTALLY great, too many parents don't teach there children, and the ones that do often expect there children to listen and no do the "dirty" all kids experment, and often feel more comffy talking to teachers about it then parents.
    I know I did!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I agree!! My son is 13 and soon, I will have a drawer with condoms and they will mysteriously refill themselves. I would rather my son and his gf be protected than becoming a young grandmother. Those parents that have their heads in the sand saying their kids would never do that are the ones that are surprised when their 16 yr old comes home pregnant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well my college bound son (18) girlfriend broke up with him earlier b/c he would not have sex with her. So not all kids are having sex. I was surprised that he was not already having sex with her. I guess those talks worked. I keep on talking to my three teens. I keep telling them once you do it you can't take it back.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i'm all for sex ed. it's better to be informed, about anything really, than to get yourself into some kind of mess only to think "if i'd known then..."
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Let's face it, they will NOT all be having sex. I didn't have sex in HS and my kids won't either. We hold ourselves to a higher standard. (Didn't want to let you down with your prediction.) I'm all for basic sex-ed, but I will teach my kids when and with whom to have sex -- their spouse.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• LOL pnkey- Good luck with that. Just because those are your standers, DOES NOT mean your children agree, they might SAY the agree, and put on a good act, but there is a better chance they are doing it than not... which is why when your child comes home pregnant, you will regret thinking "it Will never happen to them" and start thinking "damn, wish I would have giving them birth control options"

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I know it will happen. I learned first hand. I became pregnant at 13. I'm not proud of what I did but I am proud of the parent I have become. She is 5 almost six. I put her in pre-k and now she is in kindergarten. She is smart, happy, and healthy. I had another baby when i was 19. I finished high school a year late with two kids and I am now in college. PARENTS NEED TO OPEN THEIR EYES AND TALK TO THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT SAFE SEX.
    Haven_Doug1013

Answer by Haven_Doug1013 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• pnkey, did you read my question? apparantly not. lol read past whatever made you upset darling. I said that if not in high school, then soon after. That is inclusive. I meant whether they are married or not. i wasn't asking if you were gonna judge the other ladies who answer this question. I wasn't saying it's good or bad or anything whenever kids decide to have sex. I was simply asking about the free condom handouts and parent's opinions of them. sorry to have upset you!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Oh. And p.s. to OP. Although, MOST ppl do have sex before marriage and lots of kids do it in h.s., not ALL do. That's a bit of exaggeration.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009