Moving on OUT of Iraq early, what do you think?

BAGHDAD – The U.S. military is packing up to leave Iraq in what has been deemed the largest movement of manpower and equipment in modern military history — shipping out more than 1.5 million pieces of equipment from tanks to antennas along with a force the size of a small city.

The massive operation already under way a year ahead of the Aug. 31, 2010 deadline to remove all U.S. combat troops from Iraq shows the U.S. military has picked up the pace of a planned exit from Iraq that could cost billions.

The goal is to withdraw tens of thousands of troops and about 60 percent of equipment out of Iraq by the end of next March, Brig. Gen. Heidi Brown, a deputy commander charged with overseeing the withdrawal, told The Associated Press in one of the first detailed accounts of how the U.S. military plans to leave Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_iraq_moving_out

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its all a lie, to keep the American people happy. The troops arent going anywhere, which if that what the military see's fit, than I support them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

I agree.. just tell em what they wanna hear, Barry! You know, kind of like your campaign strategy!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I'm in the military. I also don't think we will ever pull out. We may pull out a certain number, etc. (not as much as what they say). But I believe one day it will be a permanent duty station....like Germany, S. Korea, Japan, etc. Nah, we aren't going anywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Didn't they just torture a bunch of informants that helped us out a couple of days ago? Am I thinking of the wrong war? Not being sarcastic, either.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My first question would be, Does this have anything to do with the leading Military official asking for up to 45000 more troops in Afghanistan?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• As soon as they can get them out isn't soon enough,IMO. They shouldn't have been sent there by Bush and Cheney in the first place.I want our service people home noe befofr anyone else dies or loses their health or their mind. ANd I was an Air Force wife, know quite a bit about the Military so I'm not kidding around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• anon 10:21....if your husband has been on tour for more than 7 months, then obama would be responsible for sending him, not bush.

another thing, when one enlists in the service, they should expect to have to actually serve their country, not reap the benefits (education, housing, allowances, etc.) without having to pay it back in some way, shape, or form!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Actually, the article doesn't say they will ALL be out, 60% of operation will be...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Thats strange because my close friend is going back tomorrow.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think if the agreement between the Iraqi government and the US says they need to leave, then the US needs to leave. How can the US practice and preach democracy and letting the new country develop when we ( can't really say "we" because I am sitting on my ass in the basement and I am not there) won't leave? I thought there was something stating that the US had to withdraw all combat forces by a certain period of time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009