would you go to a wedding if...

My friend who is mexican got married yesterday in a catholic church which is fine with me because im not prejudice against religions. She told me she invited one of our friends who is jehova witness(spelling?) The girl told her she would show up for the reception but wont go to the church because it isnt her religion. I am of the pentecost faith and I do believe in drinking a little but not getting drunk and acting stupid but what gets me is that she wouldnt go into a church building because it would be a sin but she could go to the party and get drunk. it just doesnt make a lot of sense to me so without trying to start drama here my question is would you go to a friends church wedding no matter if it is a different denomination than yours? If not than what is the reason? By the way this wedding was all spanish and I understood very little but I went because she is my friend the church didnt matter to me.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• true friends are there for EVERYTHING. Hell nor high water could stop me from breaking down the damn church door to stand by my friend.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• ....I didn't think JW drank....

They have very strict rules, like not celebrating holidays and birthdays, so I could believe they wouldn't believe in going into someone else's church.

I'd go to a friend's wedding, if it were a different denomination - heck, even if its a different religion. Although I don't have personal convictions or religious rules that would prohibit me from doing so.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I have been to weddings of individuals of various different denominations as well as Bapisms, Christenings and dedications. I don't have to agree with someone to understand that an event is important to them and they want to share it with me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i would be there for my friend no matter what. true friends are there for there when there friends need and want them.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I am a Latina Catholic and I have seen very few weddings that can equal the magnificence of a Spanish Catholic. Muy bonita!

But to answer the question, I wouldn't get drunk at a wedding and act stupid, but I would respect my friend and go her/his wedding no matter the church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i would have no problem going to any friends marriage, regardless of their religion. it makes me sad that i wont be able to see my bff's wedding (if/when haha) b/c she is LDS. she plans on getting married in the temple, so i wont get to see it, but id still be there for any part i can be. if gay marriage is legalized i will be at my other bff's wedding too...i go to a wedding for my friend, not for my religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I don't understand her going to the reception. I thought they frowned upon parties and celebrating, although maybe a wedding is an exception. I'm not too familiar with JW beliefs.

I have gone to catholic church with my family at christmas time, only because we were in my hometown and my mother would love to have all her kids and grandkids at church on christmas eve. It's just a building(to me, not bashing anyone's sacred place) nothing bad will happen to you in the afterlife for visiting a building. I respect that building and their ritualand their pastor and I think that's all that matters.

I would definitely go to a friend's church wedding no matter where it was, whether a church, nudist's beach, even across the ocean(provided I had the money) and I hate flying over large bodies of water. I'm just giving extreme examples here LOL no place is off limits for a friend and especially the most special day of her life.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• As a Christian (mexican here lol) I know "greater is He that is in me" I can do all things through Christ it would not stumble me in my walk! Jesus is with me always. He was among the sinners and prostitutes why should we separate from a specific set of demonimation or crowd for an occassion or celbration?
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well I dont know much about Jehova witness or catholics but I know this girl im talking about does party and go to dances, drinks and smokes pot, but she couldnt go to another church building. The reception was at the fair grounds and there was dancing, drinking and everything else and I was talking to her while she was drinking

ANON10:07 It was very different than what im used to but it was neat. It was an honor to be there for her.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes I would go. Though I would probably refuse to drink alcohol simply for the fact that I never drink outside of my home.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2009