For those who say not going to college is not an option for their child, what happens if they say hey, mom I'm not going to college?

Are you going to drag them to class everyday? Disown them? Just wondering...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• no but im going to stop paying for ANYTHING for them. unless they already have a really good job, then i wont care. but if they dont have a good job, and just arent gonna go to college - fine, but your on your own from now on then.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yeah, when your kids are little growing up you will have all kinds of plans for them, then they grow up and they have plans of their own. When they decide they aren't going to college, there's not much you can do....just keep trying to encourage them, but let them find out the hard way! Like we all had to! Or at least I did! lol

I would never disown my child because they didn't go to college, or did something I didn't think was the right thing....they are my children, and I will love them and be here for them no matter what. And believe me with 10 kids...I get alot of the "no matter what" stuff! lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• wow thats a bit harsh... purpul.. there are plenty with great jobs that did NOT go to college.. heck i never went and make 65-70k a year at my job with the city so if my child wanted to go straight to the workforce and not college thats fine it is NOT MY CHOICE OR DECISION, they are an adult then to make up their own minds.. what if they get knocked up at 16? would you help raise the child and take care of them? or tell em im not paying for anything ... no? but will say that over college give me a break
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If my kids decide not to go to college (which I really don't think will happen, we don't give them much of an option of thinking in those terms), then they will have to get a job and live on their own, or pay rent to stay in their room. Yes, when they're 18 it's their decision and their life, but I will still be the parent and the one that should help in guiding their decisions.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• They won't be living under our roof. I will do the same thing my parents did, if they don't go they will have to have a full time job, and move out on their own. I will love them and be there for them but they will have to know how to take care of themselves, so I plan to prepare them for any decision they make.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• missanc.. i grew up with parents that went to college and i did not, and i moved out when i was 18, if they are sure they dont want to go then fine thats their decision not yours even though your the parent, make them pay rent to live with you... ya i wont say what i think about that... whatever they want to do is what they want, love them anyways, college really is NOT a big deal.. i know plenty that went and are now asking DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT... ya ...
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• i cant believe you moms that would kick your kid out.. like i said if she got knocked up at 15 would you make her get a f/t job and move out as well??
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have made very clear to our daughter that we expect her to go to college. We also expect her to do at least one year of community service before college, like AmeriCorp, Vista, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• rk.- the perfect mom in all that she does- ugh makes me sick
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You can expect whatever you want.... but when it comes down to it, they will make their own decisions! What can you do? To disown your child because they want to live their life the way they want... well thats absurd!!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2009