what a bout a greatdane?

do you think they are good family dogs?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 9:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Pets

• I grew up with a greatdane.
    he was such a sweet dog...he lived until I was 16 he was really old.
    awww...Now I miss him.
    greatdanes are really sweet (all the one's I know) have been so friendly and sweet and love attention. their like little giant babies
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• yes I have a 5 month old puppy. She is so laid back in the house and around the kids. But she's huge already. lol
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• they are great with kids, be ready for a huge food bill though. i always wanted one, i just can't afford it :(
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• We have had several great danes,more then 20. So you know,the vet bills are high on them the older they get. We just lost our last one yesterday to cancer. In fact everyone we had got cancer when they got old. They also get hip problems. Make sure you can afford proper care they are adorable and sweet that's why we had so many BUT then 6 mos down the road they have this massive powerful animal they can't control. Training is soooo important! Great friend,but they rarely make it more than 10 years. And they should not eat large amounts of food because their stomachs can flip. They often need special diets due to joint and tummy issues. We've rescued a few and I just wish people knew these things befor they take one on. If you are willing and able they are great with kids especially females. Just keep kids away during feedings or mom with pups,they get moody! Pm me if you want to know anything else!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Sorry typo! I meant to say we have rescued from shelters. People tend to go for the novelty of this huge cute puppy,then 5,6 mos down the road they have this massive hyperactive powerful animal they can't control! Just be willing to train right away. Sorry bout that!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Alot of large dogs get cancer. Also training is so very important. Remember cute little skippy if allowed on your couch or bed will take over the couch or bed at the full grown size. The tail will take out anything on a coffee table, leave anything on the kitchen counter, turn your back, and it is gone. Large dogs have different problems, and you will be drug down the street when they are full grown if you don't teach them when they are little. Large dogs are great, and intimidating, and l would think you would less likely to be robbed.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Good points Seeker! That reminds me! Our last dane used to wag her tail so hard she chopped my mom's huge indoor palm tree in half! Too funny!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Great Danes are my fave breed, they are friendly and calm but do need lots of excersise. They also eat A LOT!!! One of the main reasons these dogs get placed in shelters is due to the fact that owners dont realize how much they eat. They also are prone to hip dysplasia as they get older, as with any large breed dog. As for having a puppy Dane in the home, they are clumsy and will knock down just about anything that comes in their way, so if youre planning on getting one, set your things high and keep things like photo frames and glass objects on stable tables/stands.
    Overall, they do make great family pets.

^^I love the harlequins!^^
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 5:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We had a great dane growing up and she was a wonderful dog... She did really well with us kids and was a wonderful guard dog. I think one would make a wonderful family pet if you have the proper means.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 12:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• yes but if you get a male and he is not neutured he could really hurt someone by trying to hump them. i know from personal experience. it was not fun.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009