When did you take the leap to go out withOUT diapers?

DD's potty training is going great. She rarely has accidents. She's been using the potty since 11 mos and has been using it primarily for the past month or so. She doesn't need diapers at night and only wears them if we'll be out for a long time (even then she doesn't pee in them). Since talking w/her about potty training and how big girls use panties, she's decided she doesn't like diapers. I don't mind being rid of them, but I'm afraid that when I least expect it she'll make me that awful mom who let her kid pee on the public playground. When do you officially let them go and how did you decide? Was it X amount of time since you started potty training? Since they had their last accident? When they decided? I get her a new porta potty that she likes very much. So I guess I'm as prepared as can be. But I just worry it's too soon. At the same time, I don't want to make her wear diapers if she's so confident without them.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 10:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would let her be! it's great she doesn't wear diapers! If she has an accident, it doesn't make you a bad mom! A lot of children have accidents. They are kids and things happen! Let her be free! My child is 10 mo and no where near potty training, that is so wonderful, and your are so lucky!!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• dd was pt a lil before 2.5yrs... mon-fri she pt at home im a sahm so had the choice of locking ourself at home & did very good... that sat we took her portable potty an extra change of clothes & went shopping for the day.. she did great i just ask her alot if she needed to & she actually did use her pott in the truck lol... in about 2wks she started sleeping in panties as well & now (she will be 3 nov) shes pp in the bed about 3 times...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• If she is excited about underwear, you should try them out. First just at home until she is used to them, then as she does better venture out. When I started taking my son in public in underwear, I bought some plastic covers to wear over them so if he did have an accident it wasn't as bad. And just take lots of extras!!
    When you do start taking her out, do short trips or make sure to use the bathroom often so the chance of accidents will be less.
    Getting them in undies is nice, but it can be scary going out the first few times. Let her pick the characters on them too, that can be fun for her and more incentive to keep them dry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• She already wears panties all the time. But I think we'll go ahead and let her pick some new pretty ones =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My youngest potty trained back in November last year at 2 1/2. We still have diapers or pull-ups in the car from then. I just never cleared them out even though it's been almost a year, lol.
    I think we made sure we had at least pull-ups in the car for a few months because she refused to use a public restroom until she was almost 3 and then it was iffy. Sometimes she would just freak out and refuse to go. I don't think we ever actually used the pull-ups though. I'm constantly amazed at how long she will hold it in instead of using a public bathroom or diaper, lol. She's almost 3 1/2 now.
    We only ever kept the pull-ups in the car. We didn't bring them into places (haven't brought the diaper bag in some where since she was like 18 months) or with us if we weren't in the car.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I can honestly say I've never seen a kid have an accident and thought anything of it. I really doubt any other parents would blink an eye if your baby did have an accident on the slide assuming you cleaned it up lol. It sounds like she is ready! Buy her some pretty princess panties!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 10:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Well I don't think kids having accidents is bad. I'd just hate for my "lack of precaution" to be the reason another kid slips and hurts him/herself.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I trained my son when he was 23 months old using the 3 day method (I have a journal here on CM about it) and we went out on the 4th day for a short trip and he wore underwear. From that point on we went out with underwear only. I just took a lot of extra changes of clothes and took one pull up with me in case something crazy happened. We never needed it.

Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• accidents are accidents. all kids have them - and I'd hope to god that every mom on the playground would understand

can't remember for my older 2, but for my youngest we're still working on it a bit (she is having too much fun sometimes to stop and go). but she wears panties out.

just take a couple pairs and a pair of pants (and socks too) in case of accidents.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I waited until my kids were 3 to train them. It only took a few days. On the 3rd or 4th day I took them out without diapers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009